Pihole debug log help requested

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/DmAJ4FFl/
file uploaded with curl
keith

The upload was successful.

What is your issue?

Router queries over rate_limil
I increased it to 2000/60

I have three networks but only primary is functioning.

When I add the raspberrypi IP to the router my browser cannot resolve any sites.

My IoT network fails.

Thanks,
Keith

It appears all the DNS traffic coming into Pi-hole is coming from the router IP:

In this case, instead of seeing (for example) 500 queries from each of five clients, Pi-hole sees 2500 queries from the router, and this trips the rate limit.

An immediate option is to raise the rate limit:

https://docs.pi-hole.net/ftldns/configfile/#rate_limit

1 Like

That would suggest you have configured your router to use Pi-hole as its upstream DNS server (often, a WAN / Internet kind of setting), as opposed to distributing Pi-hole as local DNS server for your DHCP clients (often, a LAN setting).

In such a configuration, your router aggregates DNS traffic of all your clients and forwards it to Pi-hole, you won't be able to attribute DNS requests to individual clients, and consequently, won't be able to take advantage of Pi-hole's client-specific filtering.

In addition, enabling Pi-hole's Conditional Forwarding (like your debug log shows) doesn't provide any benefits here, as the requests are already passing through your router's DNS server before reaching Pi-hole.
On the contrary, CF may close a partial DNS loop, potentially amplifying requests for local names, further aggravating your rate limit issue.

If your router supports it, you should try to have it distribute your Pi-hole host's IP as local DNS server, instead of using it as your router's upstream.

Thank you for your analysis. I found my router’s three LAN network locations for setting my pihole DNS. Also I turned off conditional forwarding. As soon as my wife is at work I can make the changes without disrupting her internet connectivity.
Keith

Implemented successfully on my primary network. Thanks again. Edited the hosts file in my pihole container and client names arr showing in top clients.
So if I want a pihole for my IoT network will I need to create a second on that network?