PiHole Connectivity Issues with iOS Software

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

If you are Experiencing issues with a Pi-hole install that has non-standard elements (e.g you are using nginx instead of lighttpd, or there is some other aspect of your install that is customised) - please use the Community Help category.

Expected Behaviour:

Devices should be connecting through PiHole as well on a Windows machine as they are on a non-windows machine.

Actual Behaviour:

iOS devices (iPhone, iOS v14.2) will intermittently connect. On initial connection, they will work properly as expected for ~1 day, but then will stall at loading the page going forward. Connections are registered when I tail pihole log.

Debug Token:

0uolwrv3ag

Summary

I've had issues on and off with PiHole slow to respond on the iPhone.

Note: Version numbers are approximate, I don't remember the exact versions that it was fixed/broken, but I do remember 5.0 caused some problems with this
Pre-5.0 - No problems connecting and using PiHole through with the iPhone
5.0-5.1 - Intermittent to zero connectivity issues when setting my DNS to the PiHole
5.1-5.2 - PiHole worked without problems on the iPhone, similar to pre-5.0 days
5.2+ - Same as 5.0-5.1

Details about my system:
PiHole - Latest (5.2.1), NOT running as a DHCP server (manually pointing the DNS on each device)
Computer - Windows 10 (v2004)
Phone - iPhone 6s (iOS 14.2)
Pi - Raspberry Pi Zero W

If I use my WiFi directly, not through the PiHole, and then go back to the PiHole, it will occasionally work for a short time (~1 day) and then not resolve any addresses. This is only on iOS, no issues on windows.

EDIT: Directed the phone DNS to use PiHole on both IPv4 and IPv6, worked for about 2 hours before running into the same issue. Removed IPv6, no improvement. Set to automatic DNS addressing (defaults to the router and bypasses PiHole), everything worked again. I redirected my phone to PiHole on both IPv4 and IPv6, and it's currently working but I expect it to fail within the next few hours.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.