PiHole blocking unblocked IP

Hi,

I have a connection that is setup in an unblocked group. I’ve set it both with an IP address and a MAC address.

If I unblock everything it works, but when I enable overall blocking it doesn’t work.

What can I check to further debug this?

It is iPhone and I have the correct manual IP assigned and I have the hide my IP turned off, so PiHole should be seeing the right info.

Thanks.

Please create and automatically upload a debug log to Pi-hole's secure server, by running the command below, and then post the debug token URL here. The debug log will let Pi-hole staff see how your groups and clients are set up. Can you also indicate which client they will be looking for, eg its name and the name of the group it's in.

pihole -d -a

Thanks for the quick reply.

Here is the upload token: https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/d4fPUSdj/

The IP is 192.168.168.100, CSM iPhone 12. Let me know if you also need the MAC. I must be missing something simple here. I thought it was working previously, but recently seems to be blocking, even with the unblocked group.

Thanks, Carl

2 issues:

• the group called "Unblocked" is disabled. You need to enable it.
  • the client CSM iPhone 12 Pro is using the "Default" group. Go to Clients page and change the Group Assignment field. Select only "Unblocked".

Edit:
Sorry, I read it wrong.
Actually, all clients are on the same group, "Unblocked". None is using the "Default" group.

Hi,

I did have the Unblocked enabled earlier, and I then disabled it today to see if that was the cause, but it wasn’t. I will re-enable that.

All of the clients I have in unblocked are the once’s that I want unblocked. Others, I’m assuming if not listed would be in default?

Thanks,
Carl

Yes.
All new clients are automatically added to Default group.

So what do you see as the issue with the IP I’m noting being blocked?

Still having issues with this and I have enabled the unblock group. Anything else I can check?

Please, post a new debug token.
The first one was automatically deleted (they are kept for only 48 hours).

New token posted. What a great debug feature that is!

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/oTFQxsa3/

Your router is distributing its own IP address as DNS server:

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Discovering active DHCP servers (takes 10 seconds)
   Scanning all your interfaces for DHCP servers

* Received 326 bytes from eth0:192.168.168.1
     Offered IP address: 192.168.168.111
     DHCP options:
      Message type: DHCPOFFER (2)
      dns-server: 192.168.168.1
      router: 192.168.168.1

That would suggest that you've configured your router to use Pi-hole as upstream DNS resolver: Your clients talk to your router for DNS, and your router is then asking Pi-hole (for all domains but the known local hostnames of its DHCP clients).

That is a valid configuration, but note that your Pi-hole is now seeing all your network's DNS requests as originating from your router.
In effect, client-based filtering does not work in such a configuration.

If your router supports it, consider instead to configure your router to distribute Pi-hole as your local DNS resolver via DHCP, see also Making your network take advantage of Pi-hole.

Thanks. That is helpful and I’ll check into the router capabilities further. It is Linksys Atlas.

One thing I don’t understand though is that my phone is setup to Manual DNS config and pointing to Pi-hole, so it should see that directly an not through the router. I thought this would allow for the client filtering. Any thoughts on why that wasn’t working?

Likely unrelated to your issue:
Some of your custom domain entries contain a protocol/scheme, similar to:
(\.|^)https://adclick\.g\.doubleclick\.net/$
Those won't be effective, as the protocol is never part of a domain.
In the above expression, you should consider removing that https:// part or alternatively, dropping the expression completely.

That is correct.

Do your phone's DNS requests register in Pi-hole's Query Log?
And could you provide an example from your Query Log showing a domain being blocked that you expect to resolve?

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.