PiHole blocking my SenseCap M1 Helium Miner?

My Helium miner has been working with no issue for the past 10 months, has a static ip and open ports for outbound and inbound (previously they required this, now with the Light Hotspots all you need is an internet connection).

About 28 days ago it dropped off the map and wasn't communicating with the Helium network. I just brought the miner to another location and tested with another internet connection after running through all possibilities with the miner team on hardware issues etc... It was up and running after 2 hours. Have tried resetting the router and whatnot but it seems like the only issue is the PiHole.

Seems like the PiHole is preventing the miner from connecting to the network? Anyone else have issues?
Should I just remove the static IP route from the router and let it connect as just another device?

I'm not familiar with the details of that device, but if Pi-hole is preventing it from joining your network you should see blocked queries from the device. Are you seeing any in your query log?

Yup, I'm seeing a lot of blocked queries.
I've just set it up again so will generate a log when the miner is back up and running.

Is generating a debug log enough to figure it out?

Pi-hole would not prevent a client from joining your local network, even if it was configured as DHCP server.

Assuming you are suspecting Pi-hole to somehow prevent your Helium miner to join a remote(?) Helium network: Pi-hole could only come into play here by blocking a domain that would be required to resolve properly in order for your Miner to log into that Miner network.

If that's the case, the debug log won't help.
Instead, you should scrutinise your Pi-hole's Query Log for blocked domains during the attempted login.

To that end, the following may also prove useful:

@Bucking_Horn and @jfb many thanks for the replies.

I haven't seen any blocked queries from any Helium-related sites but according to the support people at Sensecap - " A static IP is no longer required and doesn't matter if you have one or not.

Validators do most of the work now since Helium released the light hotpots. They create the challenges and store the blockchain, so things like port forwarding, relayed status, and being fully synced are not needed anymore.

So your unit just needs to be connected to a validator and your router should allow outbound comms and not block any communication."

Upstream DNS is being handled by Google (ECS, DNSSEC).

Although DHCP is being handled by the router and it has a static IP and the requisite Helium port open 44158 - do i need to set it on piHole? I didn't think so as everything was fine a month ago and the Helium miner was working fine for 10 months before that.

I'm switching off the piHole for the next 24-48 hours and see if that allows it to connect. I brought the miner to another location with a different internet connection and it managed to connect so I have narrowed it down to either my ISP or the piHole at the moment.

Apologies, not too good with the tech stuff so its a bit convoluted.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.