Pihole Backend wont work and also the internet is Down

Hello,

Im having a problem with my Pi-Hole installation.
The system works fine most of the time but when im trying to acces the backend GUI (via local DNS address or via IP address) the page just loads indefinitely and ultimately giving me an error something like: Page took to long to respond.
I noticed that this error occurs if i leave the backend of the Pi-Hole GUI opened in a browser tab for a few minutes.

Expected Behaviour:
Hardware: Raspberry Pi Zero V1.3 with WIFI dongle
Clients on network: around 24 to 29
DNS: Unbound

Actual Behaviour:
When this error accrues i experience the following behavior:
-internet wont work (all the errors in the browser are related to DNS)
-Pi-Hole backed isn't working
-i cannot SSH into the host machine
When this behavior happens the host Raspberry Pi its resetting itself. Maybe the problem its related to temperatures?

Debug Token:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/CS6TmrDX/

PS: in the log i cannot see anything that might indicate this behavior.

You seem to be running your Pi-hole on a public IP address:

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Networking
[✓] IPv4 address(es) bound to the wlan0 interface:
    188.<redacted>59/24

Is that by intention?

Note that making your Pi-hole publically accessible will turn your Pi-hole into an open resolver, which poses a potential threat for all Internet users, e.g. by serving as a multiplier in a DNS Amplification attack.

The Pi-hole team strongly discourages Pi-hole’s usage as an open resolver , and we won't provide support in that case.

thanks for the replay! Its not a public IP address, its just a VLAN created inside my network.

Then you should reconfigure for a private IP address range subnet, i.e. a subnet that fits in one of

192.168.0.0/16
 172.16.0.0/12
 10.0.0.0/8

e.g. 10.100.10.0/24 (which would be close enough match to your current IP range).

Using public addresses in a private network may well produce unwanted results, as requests for public networks should be routed to the Internet. If they did in your case, the initiating source may not communicate with the intended target at all, or vv.

thanks for the tip, i didn't know that. I will change now the IP address ranges and monitor the network performance again.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.