Pi-hole-website only reachable via IP (not via hostname)

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

I should be able to access the pi-hole webpage by typing the hostname being translated by the bind9 to the correct ip, but this will only give me the information, that the website is blocked, primarily due to being not on any blacklist!

Actual Behaviour:

when i try to access the pi-hole webpage by typing the hostname will only give me the information, that the website is blocked, primarily due to being not on any blacklist!

Debug Token:

nofocu919t

What is the exact URL you are using to access the Pi-Hole web admin GUI?

These lines in your pihole.log indicate that your local DNS resolver is unable to resolve client names on your local network.

-rw-r--r-- 1 pihole pihole 1507854 Feb  2 03:05 /var/log/pihole.log
   -----head of pihole.log------
   Feb  2 00:00:05 dnsmasq[574]: query[PTR] 176.152.168.192.in-addr.arpa from 127.0.0.1
   Feb  2 00:00:05 dnsmasq[574]: cached 192.168.152.176 is NXDOMAIN
   Feb  2 00:00:05 dnsmasq[574]: query[PTR] 148.152.168.192.in-addr.arpa from 127.0.0.1
   Feb  2 00:00:05 dnsmasq[574]: cached 192.168.152.148 is NXDOMAIN

Actually my DNS resolver is able to reply to DNS queries.

Server: raspberrypi
Address: 192.168.152.198

Nicht autorisierende Antwort:
Name: zero.killa.eisfair.net
Address: 192.168.152.198

I got a Linux server running and using the pi only for pihole, which is a great thing. And using this server as dns, everything runs well.

But when i try to access pihole by its hostname, it gives me the information that the website is blocked!

So the problem is accessing the pihole device by hostname, by IP it is possible.

The hostname is resolved to the correct IP!

However, the function of the device is ok, I just want to access the device by its hostname because i'm too lazy to type in the IP-adress everytime.

What is the exact URL you are using to access the Pi-Hole web admin GUI?

Hello,

http://zero.killa.eisfair.net is the url not working. My DNS is resolving this address to exactly this IP below.

192.168.152.198 is working.

As i posted already before. Can you help me with this here?

Thank you!

I think the problem is at their end. If your Pi-Hole resolves the DNS address, it has done its job. I can't load the page either with the domain name. Even with the IP, they have a bad SSL certificate.

Wait, I think we are misunderstanding.

I use the Pi-Hole in my private network with 192.168.x.y addresses.

It's not wanted to access it from outside, so of course you don't reach it. I just want to access it in my private network with a hostname instead of using the IP. That's all.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.