Pi-Hole Update Failed, now can't connect to anything

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

pihole -up

Actual Behaviour:

It ran, but the update failed, now pihole can't connect to anything it seems.

Debug Token:

This fails - [✗] There was an error uploading your debug log.

• Please try again or contact the Pi-hole team for assistance.

Pasted file here:
https://pastebin.com/jBHzW149

Found the issue, for some reason, the update set a value that dnsmasq would not work with. Not sure what added that comment, but it works before upgrading and failed during the upgrade.

pi@rasp:/etc/.pihole $ sudo service dnsmasq status
● dnsmasq.service - dnsmasq - A lightweight DHCP and caching DNS server
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/dnsmasq.service; enabled)
Drop-In: /run/systemd/generator/dnsmasq.service.d
└─50-dnsmasq-$named.conf, 50-insserv.conf-$named.conf
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2018-03-06 08:45:31 CST; 3h 10min ago

Mar 06 08:45:31 rasp.pi systemd[1]: Starting dnsmasq - A lightweight DHCP and caching DNS server...
Mar 06 08:45:31 rasp.pi dnsmasq[421]: dnsmasq: extraneous parameter at line 37 of /etc/dnsmasq.d/01-pihole.conf
Mar 06 08:45:31 rasp.pi systemd[1]: dnsmasq.service: control process exited, code=exited status=1
Mar 06 08:45:31 rasp.pi systemd[1]: Failed to start dnsmasq - A lightweight DHCP and caching DNS server.
Mar 06 08:45:31 rasp.pi systemd[1]: Unit dnsmasq.service entered failed state.

I found this on line 37 and commented it out and now it starts.

#log-queries=extra

My token after commenting that line, maybe can research why that line exists and why it prevented my update from working.

1397ryxaha

I'd like to add to the above.

Logged into my pi today and updated the pihole software in the same way.

I have exactly the same issue as described, with the same error message.

Going to the config file mentioned and commenting out the offending line also solves the problem for me.

This is a token for the output of pihole -d taken while I was still having the problem: osq76up9jk

I think there is perhaps a problem with the most recent update(s) that is breaking things...

I see this is notated in this page, but maybe add some code in there for Jessie to prevent the unaware from messing up their system to either update dnsmasq or comment that out during the update process.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.