If you are Experiencing issues with a Pi-hole install that has non-standard elements (e.g you are using
nginx instead of
lighttpd, or there is some other aspect of your install that is customised) - please use the Community Help category.
Once configured correctly, Pi-hole should carry on resolving without any issues.
Pi-hole stops resolving after some time and only a reboot of the system / manual
pihole -g brings it back online. During this aberrant behaviour, the FTL service looks fully operational and does not generate any errors.. just the resolution keeps failing. This is very similar to Pihole intermittently stops resolving until hardware reboot.
A look at the FTL logs, before and just after the time when queries stop working does not show any errors. Similarly, the dnsmasq log (pihole.log) shows that DNS query forwarding and resolution as working at this stage (all the way till 08:53 ish when no further log updates are seen in the FTL log or the pihole log.)
In an effort to resolve the issue I have so far:
- Verified with date that the date and time are correct and checked that ntp sync is working.
- Tried a fresh re-install with some FTL.conf adjustments due to the high query volume in the network (expected and not an anomaly).
- Running pihole -r and selecting repair
- Running pihole -r and selecting reconfigure
- Although IP on these boxes is received over DHCP, the allocation has been reserved. I have not yet tried to configure it as a fixed IP address (with a static config).
- checked network reachability (
ip route get 22.214.171.124etc. and all that works as expected.
- checked that there are no filesystem corruption issues (both VMs were behaving similarly, but at different times)
- kept checking stats with
echo ">stats >quit" | nc localhost 4711in case there was a delay with the GUI / web interface updates.
- LOTS of Googling and trying different things that also didn't work.
None of those steps helped resolved my issue. Please could you share some thoughts on what may be causing this strange behaviour and what I could try to deliver a permanent fix?
PS: I really like Pi-hole and appreciate all the personal effort your team puts into this.
- A reboot fixes the issue..
- running a manual
pihole -galso seems to resolve the issue (and so does a full reboot)
Pi-hole version is v5.3.1 (Latest: v5.3.1)
AdminLTE version is v5.5.1 (Latest: v5.5.1)
FTL version is v5.8.1 (Latest: v5.8.1)
Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS (Focal Fossa)
Two debug tokens, from two installs are included below: