Pi-hole on raspberry pi corrupt SD-Card help

My neighborhood experience a blip electical outage and my ssd looks to be corrupted.

I am not able to boot the raspberry pi but I can access the sd-card files.

I have looked for several ways to recover my existing configuration but the only guides I've seen assumes that the raspberry pi is still booting up to back up the files.

Can anyone suggest a method to get my config back up and running without having to spend too much time rebuilding from scratch?

Thanks.

Regarding Pi-hole you could manually copy

/etc/pihole/gravity.db
/etc/pihole/pihole-FTL.db
/etc/pihole/pihole-FTL.conf
/etc/dnsmsq.d/*.conf

Thank you for your suggestion! I appreciate it. I will definitely give it a try and see how it works out.

Unfortunately by pi won't start with the corrupted sd card but I can see the contents of the SD card. However, I don't see any of those files you mentioned in there.

Suggestions?

I'm afraid you'd have to start from scratch then, unless you'd have a teleporter backup file somewhere.

If you don't have one, I'd suggest to put creating one near the top of your to-do list once you've finished your relaunch. :wink:

That's a real shame on my part for not generating backup files.

Either way, thank you for your help. I really appreciate the support.

Note:

If you are trying to read the SD card on a Windows machine the root partition (where those files should be) won't be visible. You need to read the card using a Linux operating system.

1 Like

Hey! That worked!

I can't believe I didn't think about that.

For those curious, I downloaded and installed extFS for mac and it worked flawlessly.

Thank you all for your help.

1 Like

I was thinking about getting that, good to have a real life use case!

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.