Pi-Hole not seeing clients, is blocking ads

Good morning!

I'm relatively new to Pi-Hole and I know this question gets asked a fair amount but, unlike the other posts like this I have seen, the Pi-Hole is blocking ads (most of the time) and it is seeing traffic on my network but it is not capturing the clients. I ran and uploaded a debug log (https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/CT5arJFj/). I have validated that DHCP addresses are coming from the Pi-hole server I have running in my homelab environment (new to that as well). The Pi-Hole server has been running since late March (it's been rebooted a few times, as well).

Pi-Hole is running on top of Ubuntu Server 22.04 LTS with the latest patches and updates.

Capturing clients has never worked. I have verified that clients are being seen (dashboard and queries), network traffic is flowing (gravity and ftl tail logs), DHCP on the pi-hole is active and DHCP on the Asus Mesh WiFi is disabled. I did just notice that long term data is also not being saved. I am looking up the pi-hole docs page for that error now, in case it's related (hopefully).

I appreciate any guidance or assistance. Thank you!

Paul

Details about my system:
Home built server running Proxmox PVE Server 8.2.2 (host)
AMD Ryzen 8700G (Phoenix 1) 8 Core CPU (16 virtual cores)
64 GB RAM
2 x 2 TB NVME SSD in RAID 1 config
2 x 10 TB Seagate SATA HDDs
GIGABYTE B650M AORUS ELITE AX AM5 LGA 1718 AMD B650 M-ATX Motherboard

Pi-Hole Specs:
2 Cores, 1 socket
4 GB RAM
32 GB Drive (running on SSD Storage pool in Proxmox)

What I have changed since installing Pi-hole:
Updated Gravity to current versions
Updated FTL to current versions (5.25.1)
Updated Web Interface to current versions (5.21)
Updated Pi-Hole to current versions (5.18.2)
Updated Ubuntu Server 22.04 LTS with latest patches and updates

From the Web Admin page take a look at the "Settings Page" and "Privacy" and ensure that "Show Everything" is selected.

Hi CallMeCurious.

Thank you for the response. Yes, "Show everything and record everything" is marked. It's my home network so, I want to know what's going on. LOL!

I did take a look at the error-pihole.log file just now and I'm seeing a PHP Warning about SQLite3. I went in there to see if there was any type of messages to indicate having to increase the memory for PHP. I dunno if this will add anything for if it's a red-herring....

2024-05-06 15:32:37: (mod_fastcgi.c.451) FastCGI-stderr:PHP Warning: SQLite3::prepare
(): Unable to prepare statement: 1, no such table: query_storage in /var/www/html/admi
n/api_db.php on line 153

Thanks!

Well, I figured it out. A little bit of process of elimination but hey, it's happier.

I tried upping the memory limit for PHP to 512 mb based on this article (yes, I know it calls for 256 mb). FAQ - Pi-hole documentation

Well, that didn't help. I started seeing posts about database locks. Well, being newer to Linux and knowing this was working after my initial install, I just give the resolution in this community post from 2020 a try. This resolve the issue. So, the fix was...

sudo service pihole-FTL stop
mv /etc/pihole/pihole-FTL.db /etc/pihole/pihole-FTL-old.db
sudo service pihole-FTL start

Issue resolved. :slight_smile:

In your case, no such table is the clue.

You never posted a I missed you debug token, so we couldn't help without a lot of guessing, but seeing the error message above it's clear that your issue was an incomplete database (there were missing tables).

I don't know what caused the incomplete database (maybe an issue during installation or upgrade), but the procedure you used is the correct one to fix the database.

Sorry, I guess it wasn't obvious. The debug log is at https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/CT5arJFj/.

So the incomplete database (no such table) was the actual issue and you already fixed.

Note:
Sorry. I missed the token in your first post. I will delete my previous post.

Yes sir, thanks to an old post from 2020. :slight_smile:

1 Like