Pi-hole not blocking like it used to

Good evening all! I'm having some trouble with my pi-hole. It strangely seems to have started around when I reinstalled Windows 10, which I know shouldn't matter but here we are.

Expected Behaviour:

The blocked queries, and likewise percentage blocked, is significantly lower than it used to be despite not a significant decrease in device activity or any major changes to Pi-hole's settings.

Actual Behaviour:

I'm noticing ads in places that were previously blocked across various aps and games. The dashboard's logs are also sporadic and don't really line up with device usage.
For reference, my devices include:
-Android Verizon cell phone
-Custom Windows 10 PC
-iPad with only wifi (no calls/texts etc, just internet)
-Linux pi-hole

Screenshot of the upper half of my dashboard.
Screenshot of sometime last year for comparison.

The only changes to pi-hole's settings I've made in recent history was changing to dark mode and updating Gravity. Otherwise I've been keeping it up to date and added a custom block list maybe a year ago. Comparing these two screenshots though shows a clear difference in blocked queries but I'm not sure what's causing it. I'm also not sure what makes something a client but I definitely don't have 14 devices on my network. Screenshot of lower half of my dashboard.

As a user pointed out in this thread my iDevice isn't showing up as a device on my dashboard. In fact, none of my devices seem to be showing up despite there being three named devices.

Debug Token:

Pi-hole debug token.

Outro

I don't speak Linux or computer scientist, and even asked a friend for help setting my pi-hole up, so you'll have to work with me a bit and take it slow on fixes for this.

I greatly appreciate any help you all provide in advance, and am more than happy to be supporting the team via Patreon. Thank you all!

These devices are using a DNS other than Pi-hole. This can be an IPv6 DNS provided by the router, IOS or MacOS Private Relay, browser settings for Private DNS, etc.

From the Windows client, from the command prompt or terminal on that client (and not via ssh or Putty to the Pi), what is the output of

nslookup pi.hole

nslookup flurry.com 192.168.1.68

C:\WINDOWS\system32>nslookup pi.hole
Server: router.charter.net
Address: fe80::1eb0:44ff:fe1a:e705

*** router.charter.net can't find pi.hole: Non-existent domain

C:\WINDOWS\system32>nslookup flurry.com 192.168.1.68
Server: pi.hole
Address: 192.168.1.68

Name: flurry.com
Addresses: ::

//

It's interesting it can't find pi-hole. For what it's worth I haven't changed ISPs (Spectrum) or other internet settings since initial pi-hole stuff either. Gee whiz question but could they have reset themselves somehow, if they even affect the situation?

2nd edit: Checked my router's LAN DHCP settings and 68 is still the only DNS server listed.

Your Windows tries the IPv6 server at fe80::1eb0:44ff:fe1a:e705 by default, not the Pi-hole IPv4 address.

As yubiuser has pointed out, your IPv6 clients may use your router's IPv6 address for DNS.

You'd have to find a way to configure your router to advertise your Pi-hole host machine's IPv6 as DNS server and to stop advertising its own.

You'd have to consult your router's documentation sources on further details for its IPv6 configuration options.

If your router doesn't support configuring IPv6 DNS, you could consider disabling IPv6 altogether.

If your router doesn't support that either, your clients will always be able to bypass Pi-hole via IPv6.

So yes Spectrum's router settings seem to have this ability but of course network stuff isn't my body of knowledge so I'm not sure what to toggle.

The pi-hole interface is also giving me a DNSMasq warning.
Warning in dnsmasq core:

Ignoring query from non-local network

I see the entry for this error in the DNSMasq warnings and I'm aware the log file is at /var/log/pihole-FTL.log and that's about where I get deadstopped.

EDIT: token of when the error is active and not me clicking it to go away like last time

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.