Pi-hole not blocking adclick.g.doubleclick.net / googleads.g.doubleclick.net / pagead2.googlesyndication.com

As mentioned in the title my pi-hole does not seem to block some domains that are added in adlists and I have also manually added them as exact blacklists. The IPv6 status setting on my router is off but the IPv6 switch is on (I don't know if that's important or not).

Expected Behaviour:

Pi-hole should block the mentioned domains but it does not. The domains are added in adlists and separately as domains.

Actual Behaviour:

I can still see ads on websites like speedtest and others.

Debug Token:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/EPOwaYJY/

Are you sure your devices are using Pi-hole as DNS server?

The debug log shows your router is advertising 2 different servers - Pi-hole and itself:

router: 192.168.1.1
  dns-server: 192.168.1.13
  dns-server: 192.168.1.1

This means your devices will be able to use 192.168.1.1 for some queries, bypassing Pi-hole.

From the computer showing the ads, what is the output of these commands?
(please, run them on the command line):

nslookup adclick.g.doubleclick.net

nslookup adclick.g.doubleclick.net 192.168.1.13

for the first command the output is this:
Server: h288a
Address: fe80::1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: adclick.g.doubleclick.net
Address: 142.251.141.34
and for the second:
Server: pi.hole
Address: 192.168.1.13

Name: adclick.g.doubleclick.net
Addresses: ::

From my understanding the router should only have the pihole as a dns correct?

The first command shows your device is using your router IPv6 address as DNS server, not Pi-hole:

[i] Default IPv6 gateway(s):
     fe80::1

Did you renew the DHCP lease on your devices after changing it in the router?

Are you able to turn IPv6 off in your router?

so I made sure that the IPv6 is off and for some time it seems that everything works. But after some time the ads start coming through again but now when I run the command the cmd outputs this : Server: pi.hole

Name: pagead2.googlesyndication.com
Server: pi.hole

Name: googleads.g.doubleclick.net

This is the expected answer:

• 192.168.1.13 is Pi-hole address.
  • 0.0.0.0 means the domain was blocked.
  • :: is the IPv6 version of 0.0.0.0. In this case, it also means blocked.

Okay i found a somewhat weird behaviour of my pihole. The way i tested this is by going to speedtest and then to some other adblocker test websites to confirm that everything was working after i run some test throught a couple of websites whenever i test on the can i block it site it seems that after that, ads could go throught the pihole even thought the cmd command was still saying that everything was blocked. Is it possible that that website used some other way to load ads and then these domains were cached and thus made other ads pop up ?

Maybe your browser is bypassing Pi-hole using "Secure DNS" or "DoH" (some browsers use different names).

You can use the Tools > Tail pihole.log page to see in real-time if domains are being blocked or allowed. If they use Pi-hole, they will show up (blocked or allowed, but they will show up).

Keep the Tail pihole.log page open, then visit the desired website using a different browser tab (or a different browser, or a different device).

Do you see the queries on your Pi-hole?

• If you do and still there are ads, it means they are coming from different domains. Use the taillog to identify and block them.
  • If you don't see queries, it means your browser is using a different DNS server.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.