Pi-hole installed on Synology DSM 7.2 - DNS service not running

I've tried reinstalling pihole a couple times using this video: https://youtu.be/-5Fwyl73C7g?si=dxOUyNteb3X2AMBp

When I look at the Pi-hole diagnosis, in the log, I see this error: DNSMASQ_CONFIG FTL failed to start due to failed to create listening socket for port 53: Permission denied

Just doing some basic googling before joining this forum, I've seen indicators from different people that something my be keeping pihole from listening on port 53, but not really familiar with the command line of pihole to really figure out how to show that data. Any assistance with this is greatly appreciated.

Have you made any progress on this? I have a Synology NAS and I'm also a PI-HOLE user, but in my case I run PI-HOLE on a Raspberry Pi. I'd suggest checking your Synology NAS to see if you have the firewall enabled, and if so, make sure you have a rule to allow port 53 to be used for PI-HOLE DNS. The firewall can be accessed by navigating into the Control Panel, then Security, then Firewall. I also noticed on a Google search that your symptom matches cases where port 53 is already in use for something else when PI-HOLE comes up. To check for that situation you can use ssh to log in to the Synology NAS (following the instructions in the video) and then issue a command to display what ports are in use -- i.e. "netstat -na | grep :53" or something similar. That should help you determine if something else is already using port 53.

Pi-hole (just like any other DNS server) will always receive queries on port 53.

This means you need to disable any other services listening on this port.

This error is not about 53 in use by other service. This shows a permission error.

We need more information. How are you installing Pi-hole? If you are trying to install it in a docker container, please post the compose file or docker run command used to start the container.

Hey, stumbled over your thread with the same error and figured out a solution for myself, maybe it works for you, too.

Turns out since some version of pihole, the environment "DNSMASQ_USER" must be set to "root". The presets I had were still saying "pihole", which no longer seems to work.

While we're at it, most tutorials tell you to run this container with elevated priveledges. I found that normal privileges with the following capabilities enabled will also work:

• NET_BIND_SERVICE
  • NET_RAW
  • NET_ADMIN
  • SYS_NICE
  • CHOWN

Hope that fixes it for you, and everyone who happens to run into the same issue.
Cheers.