Pi-hole & eBlocker - Collaboration possible?

Hello Pi-Hole Dev. Team,
it is out!!! eBlocker is official open source. I am no rep. but what I love at the moment is that I can offload something that a Extension of my browser did now my raspberry does.
As much as I know they do not only block at DNS Level but can also handle Pattern Files in the easylist format, decrypt Https traffic, squid acls and Domain Blocklists work great as well. ^^
The idea would be to if the Devs. of both projects could work together, collaborate and make a adblocking monster that is easy to use and looks great.
Best regards
Val.

Looks like its dead https://www.eblocker.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/190627_eBlocker_Insolvenz_EN_vFinal.pdf

It is not just went open source m8 :slight_smile:

Link -> https://donate.eblocker.com/#about

Ah nice :+1:

1 Like

What follows is my personal opinion, this is not necessarily the opinion of the entire Pi-hole team.

Pi-hole comes without a browser extension. This is great. Because extensions are frightening. I have expressed by concerns about them a few times over the past years, my opinion has not changed. Blocking at the DNS level is safe, respects your data and your privacy. Accessing the plain text of encrypted transfers, and manipulating web site content is not safe.

Yes, open source code is fine. In theory, it depends on a proper review of the code in security terms. The first issue here is that not many are capable of doing a thorough review which leads to the second issue that people trust software without checking themselves because someone would have said something if it would be dangerous.

In fact, I believe that any browser extension that is able to manipulate web content can be dangerous. Even if the code would be checked, you'd still load some packed/compiled/binary extension into your browser. It is typically not possible to (transparently) follow the entire chain of hosted code to browser extension.

Imagine a browser extension does not only remove ads, it also manipulates your online banking transactions by sending the money to some bank account on some distant island. The money is lost. Your browser showed you everything was fine - it either manipulated the display or simply modified the transaction during it being sent. Obviously, it would do this only for every thousand user and not for each transaction - how'd you trace this back to an installed extension?...

I may called member of the tinfoil wearers here, but...
TL;DR: ... I strongly believe Pi-hole not being a browser extension is exactly the right thing.

2 Likes

The other project is per se not an extension. What it does is the same as high end security appliances do a MiM basically. But there really is not a way to decrypt SSL traffic to look inside if the packets transferred are malicious.
For example major vendors like Sophos, Kaspersky, Adguard and so on use that tech to be able to filter properly. As everything else Trust is a major factor and that is the reason why I posted that topic here for pros like you that have a open mind for new ideas.

Sincerely
Val.

The idea of a collaboration or merge is something i thought about as well.
Pi-Hole has a small footprint and gets a lot of things filtered out easily.
I also like the various statistics and the gui more than eblocker.
The ongoing cat and mice game and increased usage of TLS across the web makes the eblocker approach with mitm and more specific request filtering more and more attractive.
I think having both the dns filter and the request filtering via a mitm-proxy is a valid request.
Installing UblockOrigin to filter closer to the endpoint and replace scripts isn't always an option.
I'd welcome a joined project.

I do like eBlocker, it was just a little bit unintuitive for me. I guess just some getting use to. I do like the fact you can have DNS over TOR or VPN. This is a great function

1 Like