Pi-hole DNS security with factory firmware routers. How to avoid backdoor management of routers in 2024

The issue I am facing:

I am not sure I can trust routers with factory firmware that is not open source.

I have a 4G AC86U Asus router, which I first acquired for the 4G fallback feature, but now would like to use for DDoS protection.
The problem: I don't know how secure the original firmware is.
For the moment I suspect backdoor management exist, given the the fact that the un tampered router has changed DNS behavior multiple times, with my personal DNS resolver and server on the LAN (running Pi hole + unbound) being able to access the internet all the times, while all other clients being alternately blocked out or working. This has happened in the following circumstances:

• without me doing any changes in the router settings & without any visible changes in GUI that I could observe;
  • Without anyone having physical access to my router (I am the only person who has the key to my apartment + I have 24/7 CCTV running)
  • With the WiFi of the router set to accept a single non existent MAC address and a 40 mixed characters password (as I was not using the WiFi, but it is not possible to disable it from the router’s settings)
  • The router was indeed assigned a public IP address (dynamic one), but WAN management was disabled
  • For LAN management, router user name set was as a second password (nonstandard) + the password was 30 mixed characters, the router password was not changed;
  • I would assume the router was not hacked into, but rather accessed with knowledge provided by the manufacturer themselves and I also assume the DNS poisoning was done with the help of the ISP (please read my diary to understand this assumption: www.ovidiuteleche.ro);
  • It is possible that the DNS was poisoned somehow because my Ubuntu desktop updates stopped working normally immediately after I had these issues;

I would need to use this router because it offers DDoS protection that I cannot easily find as an open source service, plus I invested a considerable amount of money into it.

My questions are:

1. Is there any security measure I could take if I decide to continue using this router? Perhaps in the form of automated continuous monitoring of the network traffic?
  2. From my experience it would seem that Pi hole + unbound was vulnerable to this attack. Would just setting OpenDNS (or Google DNS) IP addresses in the router’s DNS server settings be a safe choice?
  3. Do you think there is any slim chance to either force ASUS to open source their firmware or release a clean open source alternative to the firmware? In that purpose I could be spreading this info online to create pubic pressure on the manufacturer.

Details about my system:

4G AC86U Asus router
Pi-hole with unbound running on a local Raspberry Pi 4B

What I have changed since installing Pi-hole:

I didn't change anything since the original configuration that was perfectly functional. DNS behaiour on my LAN has changed "by itself" multiple times.

Pi-hole is just a DNS resolver and will respond to queries which are sent to it. It can either send non-blocked queries to an external resolver, or it can pass them to Unbound. Unbound then performs the recursive resolving itself by communicating with authoritative nameservers. The traffic which leaves your network is DNS traffic on port 53 (assuming no DNS-over-XXX in use).

The behaviours you've described are very vague and many things can contribute to clients having intermittent problems. Your post isn't really a Pi-hole problem.

It is quite common for ISP routers to be supplied configured with remote management enabled. such as TR-069. Routers should be kept up to date with manufacturer or ISP firmware updates.

It is also possible for DNS to be interfered with by anti-virus software installed on the client, or, in some cases, by ISPs. You can test for DNS interception on the client with this command, run from a client computer, replacing the IP_OF_PIHOLE with your Pi-hole's IP address:

nslookup -class=chaos -type=txt version.bind IP_OF_PIHOLE

You should get back text from your Pi-hole showing the version, such as "dnsmasq-pi-hole-v2.90+1"

You can similarly test for interception leaving your network by running the same command against an external server, such as:

nslookup -class=chaos -type=txt version.bind 198.41.0.4

You should get back text from the 'A' root name server showing the text "ATLAS".

If you really suspect that this router is, in some way, compromised then you should remove it from use and isolate it for testing off your main network, or replace it. A desirable feature, such as DDoS protection, is not a good reason to use a compromised device.

By all means create a debug log (pihole -d) and post the token URL in here and someone will take a look to see if there is anything up with your setup. It might reveal some issues that can be put right.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.