Pi-Hole DNS resolution not working in the weekend

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

If you are Experiencing issues with a Pi-hole install that has non-standard elements (e.g you are using nginx instead of lighttpd, or there is some other aspect of your install that is customised) - please use the Community Help category.

Expected Behaviour:

Pi-Hole works just as well in the weekends as it does throughout weekdays.

Actual Behaviour:

For a couple of months now Pi-Hole stops working in the weekends.

• at first I only noticed Sonos stopped working during the weekends and thought it was a Sonos issue. After some troubleshooting found out that Sonos cannot resolve DNS during the weekends, and found out that other devices also suffer from this.

Debug Token:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/56I5ir1Y

Update:
Found that raspberry pi is scheduled through cron to restart Saturdays at 04:00. That brought me to a similar issue: Pi-hole stops working after power outage or restart.

In that thread it is suggested to restart pihole and selecting repair, did that and it for now looks to have solved the issue. New debug token:
https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/BUn7hHRP.

It being related to the scheduled restart of the raspberry pi at least explains the intermittency of the issue. However why it would usually start working after the weekends again I’m not sure about. Related to pihole gravity update maybe?

And in addition to that, why does pihole appear to consistently malfunction after a raspberry pi restart?

Your first debug log (56I5ir1Y) shows a resolution problem via your Pi-hole's .204 IPv4 address:

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Name resolution (IPv4) using a random blocked domain and a known ad-serving domain
[✓] images.explore.edgeverve.com is 0.0.0.0 on lo (127.0.0.1)
[✗] Failed to resolve images.explore.edgeverve.com on eth0 (192.168.178.204)
[✓] No IPv4 address available on wlan0
[✓] images.explore.edgeverve.com is 0.0.0.0 on tun0 (10.8.0.1)
✓] doubleclick.com is 142.250.179.174 via a remote, public DNS server (8.8.8.8)

That could suggest a firewall issue, but since your second debug log (BUn7hHRP) doesn't show that error, that doesn't seem to be the case?

Your Pi-hole process may have been started before your host's network interfaces have been up completely. You could try to add DELAY_STARTUP=5 to pihole-FTL.conf and restart Pi-hole.

Thanks for the reply. Aside from my weekend issue I don't have any issues with my PiHole setup. I just ran another pihole debug, again I do not see a single resolution problem on the Pi-Hole's .204 address. Maybe this is also related to the weekend issue I am/was having?

At this moment the only thing I see in pihole-FTL.conf is: PRIVACYLEVEL. Should I just add "DELAY_STARTUP=5" on a new line there?

Yes.

(In case you are not aware of this, please note that DELAY_STARTUP as mentioned by me above is actually a link to our respective docs, as indicated by the bold bluish colour.:wink:)

1 Like

Awesome, I did not notice that. Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.