Pi-Hole Blocklists

Hi,

My apologies if this has been posted elsewhere. I searched the community and checked the FAQ stuff but couldn't find much specific to this.

I am trying to block ads from a TV streaming channel (Channel 4/All 4 UK) using pi-hole. A friend of mine has blocked some 5 million domains (including that TV channel) but isn't entirely sure how. I haven't. I've only blocked 270 thousand or so.

I've been to Blocklist Collection ¦ Firebog and Blocklistproject Lists - Open Source Agenda and blocked all the advertising lists as well as some others.

Can anyone tell me where I can get a better set of lists? Or a better method of keeping pi-hole updated?

Thanks

James

There are some nice lists on Developer Dan's Hosts, and the oisd list is good. Blocking C4/All4 came up on Reddit a while ago and some people mentioned some extra domains you can try.

3 Likes

You might be tempted to pump every available blocking list into Pi-hole.
Don't.
There's no need for that. In my experience, Pi-hole's default lists are already doing a decent job.

If you want to expand on that, go for quality and content, not for sheer volume.
WaLLy3k's Blocklist collection is a good starting point (that you alreay seem to be aware of), and Steven Black's hosts files do a good job in grouping blocking lists by topics.
Focus your attention on the sites you visit regularly - if they still show ads, go tune your blacklists until satisfied.

However, some SmartTV brands are notorious for ignoring local DNS configuration and consult their own DNS servers, meaning you would still see ads.

If that'd be the case for you, you could try to configure your router to block outbound DNS for all devices but Pi-hole, or even to redirect those DNS requests to your Pi-hole - provided your router supports that.

3 Likes

Thanks to both of you.

I had blocked a lot more but, following your advice, I have stuck to the sites mentioned which doesn't block C4 however, as Chris says, I have found out how to add individual domains so using the info on Reddit successfully blocked the ads for the channel :slight_smile:

James

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.