Pi-hole blocking Instagram even when not enabled

The issue I am facing:
I can’t seem to get Instagram to operate correctly. Even with pihole disabled it does not refresh. It always fails to refresh and says I don’t have an internet connection.

Here is a video of what’s happening.

Details about my system:
Running a pi3b+ with plex, pihole, and pivpn. Pihole running with the base block list. Pihole seems to block Instagram loading no matter the state of being enabled or disabled. I know my connection is good because when I change my router to use my isp issued dns, it works fine. Running Instagram on an iOS device. The issue seems to be related to the iOS app. The web browser works fine.

Pihole tail and query log shows all the requests and none are blocked but yet it doesn’t refresh and half the time says I do not have an internet connection.

What I have changed since installing Pi-hole: installed pivpn after pihole. The vpn seems to operate properly other than Instagram.

If Pi-hole is disabled, it is not blocking anything. The time to live (TTL) for blocked domains is set at 2 seconds, so within a few seconds of disabling Pi-hole any blocked domains should have exited the cache.

Use these tools to help determine why your desired content does not load:

I’ve gone all through that. I don’t see anything being blocked. I see the expected urls being queried, forwarded, and replied to. That doesn’t explain why the content I want to load is blocked when pihole is disabled. When I set my router dns to anything other than the internal pihole ip, everything works fine.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.