Pi-hole as individual pass-through device

Hi, I been looking online for an answer but could not find anything (maybe I am searching wrong). I been playing with pi-hole on on a Raspy Zero W but I want to see if there is a way to build it as a standalone device, for eample: main router > on cable pi-hole - secondary router or device that would have filtered traffic without any changes on DNS. Thank you

If I'm understanding right you mean somerthing like this?

Clients on your network > secondary router > Pi-hole > main router > Internet

So your secondary router just works as "normal" but Pi-hole intercepts the queries and passes them through to the main router, and all other traffic is passed through by the Pi OS?

Pi-hole is just a DNS server that can do blocking – if something is blocked it returns an address of zero, else it passes the query on as normal. Meanwhile your router is designed for traffic throughput, for video streaming and so on. You would want your Pi Zero W to handle the DNS side of things, and let the routers do their job with the rest of the traffic.

This would then become

Clients > secondary router > main router > Internet
               |                   |
            Pi-hole here...    or here

but now the secondary router is probably pointless (unless it's some kind of wifi mesh extender), so it reduces down to

Clients > main router > Internet
               |
            Pi-hole

Thank you, it make sense , I guess my only way is to build something to incorporate a router.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.