Pi Hole admin page needs 2 minutes to load

Expected Behaviour:

If I run "ip-adress/admin" the pi-hole admin webpage should show instantly

Actual Behaviour:

It takes up to 5 minutes until the page will show. Login and usage is then fast as usuall. After a logout and waiting for 10 minutes I got the same behavior again. I got this issue since the last update to pi-hole version 3.1

Version

Pi-hole Version v3.1.4 Web Interface Version v3.1 FTL Version v2.10

I did update pihole to the most current stable version.

Any ideas?
Kind regards,
Christian

I run pi-hole on a rapsberry pi

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
model name : ARMv7 Processor rev 4 (v7l)
BogoMIPS : 38.40
Features : half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt vfpd32 lpae evtstrm crc32
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant : 0x0
CPU part : 0xd03
CPU revision : 4

Please provide a debug token by running pihole -d, so we can take a look for any errors in your logs etc.

Thank you, the debug token is ajvxgm7ym0

I'm seeing a few errors in the lighttpd error log:

file_get_contents(https://api.github.com/repos/pi-hole/FTL/releases/latest): failed to open stream: Connection timed out in /var/www/html/admin/scripts/pi-hole/php/update_checker.php on line 11

I think this could be the reason it's taking a while to load the page, as in the current version it is a blocking function.

This should be resolved in the next release thanks to this pull request from @DL6ER.

You can try out the next version by running pihole checkout web devel (and pihole checkout web master to switch back) to see if the issue is resolved for you. Bear in mind the devel branch may be broken in other places, so it's probably best to switch back!

Are you unable to connect to api.github.com? That should not be blacklisted.

Actually, yeah, @Mcat12 makes a good point!

Looking at your debug log I can now see that you have api.github.com blacklisted (I missed this before! :beer:)

That domain needs to be accessible in order to get the versions, so unless you have another reason for blacklisting it, you can whitelist it by running pihole -w api.github.com (or using the web interface)

Thanks Mcat12 an PromoFaux regarding your quick help. In fact the issue has been solved by whitelisting api.github.com. Maybe I ask for a feature request, the needed url's cannot be blocked anymore? It would be great if an explanation will tell the user why the url will be needed and must not be blocked.

I'd rather not have hardcoded URLs that cannot be blacklisted, what is to say that we would not use it for any nefarious purpose? (Not that we ever would!)

We could perhaps add that one to the commonly whitelisted domains wiki post.

Sounds good to me to have the url on the commonly whitelisted domains

Many thanks for your help