Pi-Hole aborts install after whiptail on Raspberry PI4 4meg Raspbian buster ver 10

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

Pi-Hole installation completes._

Actual Behaviour:

Pi-hole aborts install after following line:

[βœ“] Checking for whiptail
+ [[ 1 -gt 0 ]]
+ test_dpkg_lock
+ i=0
+ fuser /var/lib/dpkg/lock
+ return 0
+ debconf-apt-progress -- apt-get --yes --no-install-recommends install dialog

Debug Token:

No token - does not install
Raspbian and NOOB on purchased chip. Only other package installed is RealVNC server.
Have tried all three installation methods. All abort at same line with same message.
All install commands prefixed with 'sudo' ex: sudo bash -x basic-install.sh ...etc.

Only anomaly encountered (help ticket sent to raspberry/github) is when I do a sudo apt-get update i get:

pi@raspberrypi:/Pi-hole/automated install $ sudo apt-get update
Hit:1 http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian buster InRelease
Reading package lists... Done
W: Target Sources (main/source/Sources) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:3 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/raspi.list:3
W: Target Packages (main/binary-armhf/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/raspi.list:1
W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/raspi.list:1
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/raspi.list:1
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/raspi.list:1
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_US.UTF-8) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/raspi.list:1
W: Target Sources (main/source/Sources) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:3 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/raspi.list:3
W: Target Packages (main/binary-armhf/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/raspi.list:1
W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/raspi.list:1
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/raspi.list:1
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/raspi.list:1
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_US.UTF-8) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/raspi.list:1

Have spent a couple days trying to figure this out but have run out of knowledge and ideas.
Regards

You need to solve the issue with apt-get failing first. This indicates a broken OS and we will not complete the install if things are broken at that level.

You can try sudo apt-get --yes --no-install-recommends install dialog but that probably will just list out more errors for you to fix.

They may have shipped you a damaged OS. Since you aren't far into this, I would use Etcher software to burn a new Raspbian image (you can get the latest at Raspberry Pi OS – Raspberry Pi )

Don't forget to put an empty file name SSH in the boot directory when you make the new OS image, or you won't be able to remote into the Pi.

1 Like

I cleared the OS multiple configuration errors by commenting out duplicate 'deb' entries in the raspi.list source file. Ran apt-update and apt-upgrade with no errors. Pi-hole [Bash -x basic-install.sh] still hangs at same spot with same message. Currently downloading fresh OS onto new chip to test for corrupted OS as you suggest. Thanks

root@raspberrypi://home/pi# apt-get --yes --no-install-recommends install dialog
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package dialog is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'dialog' has no installation candidate
root@raspberrypi://home/pi#

What image are you using? (Link to the image if possible.)

What is the output from apt-cache policy dialog as well.

Is this with the old repaired OS or the newly installed OS?

Old OS...still installing new.

root@raspberrypi:/etc# cat os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)"
NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="10"
VERSION="10 (buster)"
VERSION_CODENAME=buster
ID=raspbian
ID_LIKE=debian
HOME_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/"
SUPPORT_URL="RaspbianForums - Raspbian"
BUG_REPORT_URL="RaspbianBugs - Raspbian"
root@raspberrypi:/etc#

root@raspberrypi://home/pi# apt-cache policy dialog
dialog:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: (none)
Version table:
root@raspberrypi://home/pi#
--- Old OS

Where did you download the image from?

NOOBS v3.2.1 (still installing)
Raspbian Buster with Desktop and Recommended software
downloaded from [https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian_full_latest

Old OS purchased from PiShop on card SKU1249 10/29/2019...a week ago.

This is unusual. Should read similar to below:

apt-cache policy dialog
dialog:
  Installed: 1.3-20190211-1
  Candidate: 1.3-20190211-1
  Version table:
 *** 1.3-20190211-1 500
        500 http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian buster/main armhf Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Installation Successful:
Reinstalled from web NOOBS/Raspbian to new chip and tried again as suggested. This time I did everything from the su accnt (root) rather than the PI user accnt via sudo. Installation of OS and PI successful: I believe I had a corrupted OS. I also think the first time installing Pi-hole I didn't have root privileges which may have added to probs. Thanks for your help. Takes me back to my long since forgotten M6800 assembler days in the early 70's.

............. Pi-hole install......
[βœ“] Force-reloading DNS service
[βœ“] DNS service is running
[i] Pi-hole blocking will be enabled
[i] Enabling blocking
[βœ“] Reloading DNS service
[βœ“] Pi-hole Enabled
[i] Web Interface password: cmgzAvvl
[i] This can be changed using 'pihole -a -p'

[i] View the web interface at http://pi.hole/admin or http://192.168.1.75/admin

[i] You may now configure your devices to use the Pi-hole as their DNS server
[i] Pi-hole DNS (IPv4): 192.168.1.75
[i] If you set a new IP address, please restart the server running the Pi-hole

[i] The install log is located at: /etc/pihole/install.log
Installation Complete!
------ Pi-hole Install end ------

Also:
root@raspberrypi://# apt-cache policy dialog
dialog:
Installed: 1.3-20190211-1
Candidate: 1.3-20190211-1
Version table:
*** 1.3-20190211-1 500
500 http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian buster/main armhf Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
root@raspberrypi://#

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.