PHP error

Problem with Beta 5.0:

Error

There was a problem applying your settings.
Debugging information:
PHP error (2): syntax error, unexpected '(' in /etc/pihole/pihole-FTL.conf on line 2 in /var/www/html/admin/settings.php:14

I played around applying recommendations from this post .. not sure what created an issue but can't find what the error says ...

Debug Token:
https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/ikhg01g8ty

Let's look at this file. What is the output of cat etc/pihole/pihole-FTL.conf

I put comments to ignore what I had added:

BLOCKINGMODE=IP-NODATA-AAAA

#Make FTL only analyze A and AAAA queries (true or false)

#ANALYZE_ONLY_A_AND_AAAA=true

#TTL (90-days) entries for FTL database (saves on space)

#MAXDBDAYS=90

PRIVACYLEVEL=0

Remove the lines with the comments; or specifically the line with the ( included; save the file and restart FTL with sudo service pihole-FTL restart. See if the problem resolves.

Bingo! Fixed ... I'll leave it at that.
By the way, I am using unbound and if I check "use dnssec" in pihole youtube doesn't load anymore. Seen as BOGUS. Is this normal? Should I just uncheck DNSSEC in pihole and use the one included in unbound?

This is correct. Unbound is already doing DNSSEC if you set it up per the Pi-hole guide (and likely by default anyway).

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the help.

1 Like

If you want to use the special characters in comments us ; instead of #.

The reason is that `pihole-FTL.conf``is treated by php as an ini file and comment lines have to begin with a semicolon.

But as jfb said: removing the special characters is always a good idea :wink:

Just pointing out that FTL itself is great in recognizing comments, it will even recognize if you just start text even without explicitly marking it as a comment. Whatever does not follow the PROPERTY=VALUE format is ignored.
This to avoid failures of the DNS service because of a messed up config file.

Why am I not surprised that your FTL code is more robust than a standard php function?!

1 Like