Philips BDP2180/12 with 20k requests in 60min - wth?

Hi there

This thread is about a certain device because the manufacturer lacks a proper forum (and a support page is inexistent, at least in my country). Please let me know if this was wrong and it won't happen again.

My Philips BDP2180/12 is in use since years, never had issues. It was (WAS!) always connected via LAN -> Switch -> Router to update it's firmware (whereas there is no update since years either...).

Well - since a couple of days I'm operating a Pi-Hole on a Raspi Zero - a truly fantastic project (donation done!). Today my daughter (3y) started watching her favourite DVD (Sing, 2016) - and my Pi-Hole went crazy. 20k requests in 60min to following URLs:

• auth3.voole.com
  • auth3.voole.com.home
  • auth4.voole.com
  • auth4.voole.com.home

So - wth? I immediately disconnected the device from my network. But still, why? Any ideas?
I'm happy to assist with logs or are whatever is needed - I'm just curious what happened here.

I'm happy about any hint you can give.

What are you using for ad block list's on your piHole? I just ran a quick check on mine which is using:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/StevenBlack/hosts/master/hosts

And when I query it for voole.com it doesn't show up as being blocked.

If that is being blocked by your Pi-hole a in some instances devices will frenzy trying to connect over and over again.

Also there may be other hosts it may be trying to query in addition to this in the list that can trigger frenzy behaviors.

If it doesn't stop you can also configure player in the Pi-Hole into a group that doesn't get blocked it's under:

Yes, not blocked on my end as well. Though, I'm very interested why my device needs to communicate with that domain that much. What I find at Google are following links:

Voole looks like a cloud provider, but no idea for what. Based on that, the domain looks suspicious to me.

As said, not sure if this topic belongs here, but I'm very curious to find the reason why a Blu Ray player needs to ping a cloud provider that much. And Pi-Hole is a neat tool to do at least some basic analysis on that issue.

Yes many DVD/Blu-Ray payers that are internet connected have an option to turn off that connection for DVD/Blu-Ray content. You may want to check your configuration menu or manual. I find it interesting that after a few years many studio's abandon the interactive content that may be played when the disc is inserted. This may be the circumstance with your DVD the content is no longer available and a poorly written app on the DVD that uses the internet connection is just hitting up against that "dead" service.

If you really want to see a frenzied experience wait till you have phone apps like games that are free to play that cannot connect to their mothership. One my daughter had was hitting the Pi-Hole 500 times per minute when she was playing the game. Another big one is Amazon tablets and their need to constantly attempt connections when blocked.

It's amazing to see what these apps and devices are doing once you have a dashboard that provides the insights.

thank you ron, that's probably the hint i needed - some weird, not in use anymore blu ray service.
funny that you mention amazon. upon the pi-hole installation, some other device in my network went crazy. i wasn't able to identify the device right away, because the pi-hole only showed me the ip/mac address. when i googled the mac address, manufacturer showed as amazon.

i searched my apartment for 1h straight until i found my old kindle which tried to reach it's "mothership" and wasn't able to. battery went dead after a few hours (usually the kindle battery lasts for months). from now on, my dear kindle reader will stay in flight mode...

1 Like

In my house the most chatty devices according to my Pi-hole are in this order:

1. My Netgear router (to Netgear and BitDefender, despite the features provided by the latter not being used) and
  2. An Amazon Fire Stick that doesn't shut up even when supposedly in standby.

Some time ago I discovered that my Blu-ray player (or at least one of the discs) pings the White House website occasionally, which I still find strangely amusing.

looks like amazon is the worst... and their devices go literally crazy when not able to reach it's host. the white house ping is very funny, some dev was like "how can i check if i'm still online? Ou yeah, let's freak out the NSA guys by spamming pings to the white house"!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.