Pfsense with pihole correct configuration?

Hi i would like to know if my pfsense config with pihole is correct?

this is my general setup:

pihole configuration:

im not sure of my pihole configuration. What i want is to pass all dns traffic from pfsense to my pihole server.

Any tips appreciate it

thank you

I am not an expert. But...

The only setting you really need right on your screenshots is the first one.
System/General Setup / DNS Server Settings / DNS Servers -> type here your local Pi-hole IP Address.

The rest help, too. Should just work with the first one.

DCHP / LAN / Servers / DNS Servers -> fine too here. It's optional. If its on the main first page, it is not needed here.

DNS Forwarder / & DNS Resolver / Someone else can pitch in here. (Not needed for PiHole I think)

You last screenshot of Pi-Hole. I think that is telling PiHole where to get the info. I would setup "Cloudfared" . Look it up.

Also,

1. I STRONGLY recommend you set Pi-Hole on it's own PFSense interface. Do not share it in the LAN with a switch.
    That way, you really command who will actually reach the Pi-hole with any custom rules (Firewall / Rules / LAN).

2. I STRONGLY suggest you do this:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/pihole/comments/ahmg14/finally_set_up_a_dnat_for_hardcoded_dns/
    pfSense Configuration Recipes — Redirecting Client DNS Requests | pfSense Documentation (except NAT REFLECTION -> ENABLE)

If you don't, you are only getting half your Pi-Hole's worth/power.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.