Password for pre-configured Pi-Hole

thought I was.. got it from this site

Link ?
To my knowledge, Pi-hole doesnt sell ready made boxes.

sorry just looked.. pi-supply.com
will see if I can return it
thanks

Bill

I cant find a ready made Pi-hole box on that site with below search:

But if your sure its coming from them, why not ask them instead of returning ?

EDIT: Sorry there is a box:

https://uk.pi-supply.com/products/pi-hole-kit-network-wide-ad-blocker

But still, I believe you should ask them for the user/pass if its not the default pi/raspberry.

Try user "adblock" with pass "blackhole" as described here:

RTFM :wink:

Thanks dHakkelaar, I'm in!

1 Like

Run below one on a Bash command prompt to reset the Pi-hole web GUI password or leave the password blank:

And I would advice to change the default "adblock" user password as well:

sudo passwd adblock

@blauber, one more question, was a card with a link to instructions included in the Pi-hole package that you purchased ?
One should have been included according to head honco Salmela (the Founder) :wink:

Hi,

I just got mine today, the same pre-assembled one like blauber.

I'm using a Mac and I wire-connected my Pi-Hole device.

But I'm not sure how my Mac OS terminal connects to the Pi-Hole device.

All I know about how to use the device is through the Web GUI.

How can I change my admin/pwd from there?

Thanks,
j.

In the Mac terminal: ssh pi@[ip address here]

Once shelled in: sudo pihole -a -p

You have to change the admin password from the command line.

hi...

Thanks for replying.

my terminal says port 22's connection refused

Argh... Sorry, I'm a totally illiterate to the finer aspects of using command terminals and networking configurations.

I had to cringe when I realized I had to connect a keyboard, mouse, and computer screen to my PH RPi because all I had was a Macbook and no detachable keyboard or mouse. ... I couldn't even figure out how to use the HDMI display onto my Macbook.

I'm googling the subject on SSH and port 22.

In the Pi's menu pick preferences, raspberry pi configuration, the interfaces tab and enable ssh.

Or since you are in the GUI anyway to make this change just change the password and possibly the system name from the first tab there.

Thanks, but I don't see an option to change password or system admin name on the http interface.

The SSH daemon probably isnt enabled to start at boot so you cant connect from a client yet.
Have a read here about enabling SSH on headless setup:

Thanks for the links.

So the easiest way I found out: create an empty file called "ssh" without an extension and save it to the boot partition of RPi's SD card. Then RPi would boot up, automatically delete the empty file and enable SSH.

But I opened up the pre-assembled PH device, and there is no sd card.

And I'm still flummoxed at how to access into the RPi OS to enable ssh.

Am I missing anything?

j.

EDIT: I'm on a non-admin Mac OS account. Somehow I can't SUDO anything. It doesn't seem my other admin password works.

Thats the way forward.
There should be an SD card slot:

https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/projects/raspberry-pi-setting-up/4

Ohw ps. was an instruction card (with web link) included with the package you purchased ?

Hi dH !

So I spent all night scouring the Web for one simple solution to enable ssh.

The SD card seemed like a good idea, but the pre-assembled PH case appeared to have glued the RPi board bottom to the casing. (It was also a headache to figure out how to open the casing in the first place, as well.)

Just now, I looked through the PH box and there were mostly business cards, which I thought were marketing ads, but yes-- those cards had indicated websites for instructions.

I think I'm going to try my 3rd method of plugging the RPi into my 55 4K HDTV (overkill?) ... plug my iMac keyboard and see if I can do without the mouse.

Can you believe I threw out old electronics for hazardous waste disposal for recycling, months ago?

J.

Hi.. the problem I had was sorted when I realised the preconfigured Pi-hole was of course made by Stake Box.. went to this url https://www.stakebox.org/blogs/learn/getting-started-with-pi-hole-your-network-wide-ad-blocker

There I found it had a different default password

Username adblock

Password blackhole

Sorted mine

Bill

Thanks... I already knew that.