Option "Enable IPv6 support (SLAAC + RA)"

I am a little confused about this option in pi-hole, under Settings, DHCP:

[ ] Enable IPv6 support (SLAAC + RA)

This is off by default. I'm wondering under what circumstances should I switch it on?

@DanSchaper provided this helpful resource

But also said

DHCPv6 is a nasty hack that shouldn't exist.

and

IPv6 was designed to be a decentralized protocol. Clients are supposed to self-generate their addressing, the necessary gear on the network advertises it's capabilities and clients pick what they need. It was supposed to be self-healing and autonomous. Adding in a central configuration like DHCPv6 breaks all of that. You lose a lot of what IPv6 was designed for in the first place. IPv6 addresses are not meant to be static, in the terms of what we consider static for IPv4.

Edit: For clarity, statically assigned, instead of static. Of course you can manually configure a static address.

So I guess my question remains: when would you want this option ticked on? I assume it is default off for a reason?

You'd enable it if you had IPv6 configured on the segment and wanted Pi-hole to advertise its features.

1 Like

OK cool -- how do I know if IPv6 is configured on that segment? Is this a function of the router? (In my case, provided by AT&T fiber reseller)?

Easiest test? https://ipv6-test.com

1 Like

Results:

Should I be concerned, or try to change anything? :thinking:

Nope, just means you don't have to dig in to IPv6 and the associated rage induced table flips it causes.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.