Opt-out metrics collection

Hi there,

Just notice that PiHole is calling device-metrics-us-2.amazon.com.
I don't see an option to opt-out this device metrics and find it quite unpleasant to find out this way.

Thank you

I suspect that Pi-hole is not calling this domain. This domain is most likely being queried by one of your network clients (perhaps an Echo or other Amazon device).

What is the output of the following command from the Pi terminal:

sudo grep device-metrics-us-2.amazon.com /var/log/pihole/pihole.log | tail -n15

Pi-hole collects no metrics, and nothing from your Pi-hole install is collected in any way (with the exception of you voluntarily uploading a debug log or file and sending us the token to retrieve that file for 48 hours).

Nothing, it returns nothing.
According to my router this is coming from my RPI running pi-hole and it was caught by it's own ad block.
To be honest, I was expecting PiHole to talk to nothing else but the DNS server configured.

Your pihole will forward non blacklisted queries to your upstream resolver. As the request comes from pihole its going to show pihole as the client. This would seem to be a case where your routers adblocker has it blackisted but pihole your pihole does not.

You could do a nslookup device-metrics-us-2.amazon.com form a client and watch your router log / adblocker and see how it logs.

There is nothing in Pi-hole code calling this domain.

Probably some device is querying this domain.
Pi-hole is receiving the query and is forwarding it to the DNS upstream server configured.

Are you using your router as Pi-hole upstream DNS server?

Hi CallMeCurious,

You're spot on.
Actually, PiHole has it in it's blacklists too but for some reason (that I don't recall) it was whitelisted. :thinking:

Anyway, thank you for your insight and I apologize for any confusion.

No, my router is using something else.

And this is exactly what Pi-hole does.

DNS query comes to Pi-hole. Pi-hole either blocks the query and returns 0.0.0.0 (the default reply), or forwards the query to a configured upstream DNS server.

Pi-hole doesn't initiate any queries for Amazon domains. Pi-hole will make independent PTR queries to get the names of the configured upstream DNS servers.

Please upload a debug log and post just the token URL that is generated after the log is uploaded by running the following command from the Pi-hole host terminal:

pihole -d

or do it through the Web interface:

Tools > Generate Debug Log

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.