One device refusing to use pihole via DHCP

Expected Behaviour:

[all devices connected to network via pihole DHCP should be using pihole]

Actual Behaviour:

[One of 2 identical devices "does not use pihole" and has loss of functionality in apps.
I'm using a Pi1B+ as the DHCP server as the router can't be set with a custom DNS.
My parents both have Galaxy tab A's, one works perfectly, but the other is having problems in certain apps and in the Network Overview it is listed as not using pihole. See picture (the sky device there is the router).
I can't find a reason why this is, or a way to change this behaviour.

]

Debug Token:

[https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/adozgtofjn]

Since one of the devices can connect and the other cannot, I suspect they are not identical.

You may have a better response and better solution on an Android support site or forum.

Thanks for the reply.
They are "more" identical than anything else on the network. They are both Samsung Galaxy Tab A's, running the same software. I appreciate that no 2 devices are actually identical, however similar they may appear. Why would one be ok and the other not?

All devices on the network are setup to connect automatically (most Android devices have no other settings beyond this when on "auto"), and they are all given ip's by the pi, but it's just this one device that ends up in the "red zone" (other than the router) and has connectivity issues in apps ("check internet connectivity") without making any queries to the pihole for anything to be blocked. Yet it still has internet access, so it's not cut off from the internet.
Had it been any other random device I wouldn't have made a thing about it's similarity to anything else. Everything else has been playing nicely with the pi, it's just this one device.

What I'm trying to get at is what would prevent a device from using pihole (as shown in the Network overview) when the pi is set as the DHCP/DNS, and is there a way to "encourage" the device to join in.

I have tried both clearing the DHCP list and the Network overview list and the above situation remains upon re-connection and re-population of those lists.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.