Obsfucated domains / IP addresses in logs

Firstly, I love pihole as an ad blocker, however I currently have logging turned off (and therefore lose most of the web front end functionality) as I'm a little uneasy with the verbosity of the logs that dnsmasq produces; my entire browsing history (since the last purge of the log) is stored on an unencrypted SD card in forensic detail, probably a little tinfoil hat mentality as a home user but valid in a corporate setting .

My feature request would to disable the "Query Log" functionality and also to also obsfucate as much of the DOMAINS and IP adress data produced by dnsmasq PRIOR to writing to the pihole.log file. This would differ from turning logging of in that certain high level stats could still be calculated

I'm not a software developer so please forgive me if I am off on some of my suggestions, but I believe it would be possible to obsfucate all DOMAINS and IP ADDRESSES for successfully resolved DNS queries AND obsfucate all "piholed" DOMAINS (but not the local IP "pihole" adress it resolves to) and still be able to produce the top level stats and graphs on the web front end.

I could probably cobble something with SED or (g)AWK that could do so this on a static file but I wouldnt know how to do this by intercepting the dnsmasq logging functionality before it is written to disk.

In summary:

A feature where all successfully resolved DNS requests are completely obsfucated before writing the log to disk. All piholed DNS requests have their domain obsfucated whilst still leaving the local IP address intact (in order to provide a basic set of stats of total vs piholed DNS requests on the web front end). The "Query Log" functionality of the web front end would probably be best disabled in this configuration as it would provide no real detail.

Interesting to see whether there is any other demand for this privacy focused whilst still providing some stats feature or whether I'm on my own.

Humbly submitted to await a consensus :slight_smile:

I'm not sure that we can do anything before pihole.log is written to, since dnsmasq does all the writing to that log. Even if we parse and delete everything as it comes in, I have a feeling that it can still be tailed and read.

Implemented in Settings/Privacy

The privacy modes do not provide the requested feature:

All piholed DNS requests have their domain obsfucated whilst still leaving the local IP address intact (in order to provide a basic set of stats of total vs piholed DNS requests on the web front end).

Isn't it the same as:

Hide domains: Display and store all domains as "hidden""

Bildschirmfoto zu 2020-05-31 18-15-34

DNS request is hidden and IP still intact

There is no differentiation between allowed and blocked queries.

1 Like