NTP Pointer in DHCP Server

Add NTP pointer field to DHCP server in Pi-hole GUI.

1 Like

Can you further explain the feature you are requesting? What does it accomplish, how, why, etc?

Having the option to pass an NTP server address to clients would let the pi-hole owner specify a local or preferred server for time resolution.

Having a central setting for NTP in DHCP avoids having to change settings on each ntp client if your preferred server changes.

Adding DHCP option fields for various DHCP lease payloads feels like it could get far out of hand. There are a ton of them.

It could, having the most popular/useful as options and a by-number option to add the rest would be good.

See: Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) and Bootstrap Protocol (BOOTP) Parameters

Hi,

I created my own 42-pihole-ntp-dhcp.conf within /etc/dnsmasq.d allowing me to share the NTP server

root@DietPi4:/etc/dnsmasq.d# ls -l
insgesamt 16
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1590 Jan 30 15:11 01-pihole.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  500 Feb  2 20:38 02-pihole-dhcp.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1287 Jan 30 15:11 04-pihole-static-dhcp.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  362 Feb  2 20:39 42-pihole-ntp-dhcp.conf

The file contains a single line only dhcp-option=option:ntp-server,192.168.0.1. My hope is, that it will be persistent and did not get removed :upside_down_face:

Pi-Hole will not remove this file.

giphy

Hi Guys,
thx for confirmation. Much appreciated.

I'm going to close this FR and release the vote as the OP never explained what was requested in detail.
If you would like to see "dhcp-option=42" implemented at the web interface, please vote here: