Not blocking at all

Hi,

Blocking not working for any of my devices (Win pc's, iphone, androids etc). The IP adress for the Pi-Hole server has been set as PRIMARY DNS server on my ASUS router.

Output from running pihole -d:

Detecting Installed Package Versions:
Pi-hole: v2.12.1
WebUI: v2.4
lighttpd/1.4.35
PHP 7.0.15-0ubuntu0.16.04.2 (cli) ( NTS )
Pi-hole branch:  master
Pi-hole rev:     v2.12.1-0-g5333895
AdminLTE branch: master
AdminLTE rev:    v2.4-0-g406877d

Screenshot from admin site that is running perfectly well.

Only ad that is getting blocked are the one that is made during the "pihole -d" command (doubleclick.com).

If any devs sees this: rmgx9mf6nd is my debug token :slight_smile:

Do you have another server listed as the Secondary on your router? The doubleclick block shows that the Pi-hole is blocking domains. Also, did you browse any sites when asked by the debug script? There was no traffic activity logged, so during the debug there were no queries sent to the Pi-hole.

This are my DNS settings on the router:

Yes, I did browse during the 60 seconds period. I can run the pihole -d command again and send a new debug token?

Thank you in advance!

Remove the secondary DNS server, what is happening is that your queries are going to the secondary and bypassing the Pi-hole altogether. That's why no log entries were captured, no queries were sent to the Pi-hole when you were browsing.

Removed the secondary dns server from my router config. Still see a lot of ads when I browse. Did a new "pihole - d" now. Debug token is : uz1eayqagl

Did you clean out the client machines DNS cache and the browser cache? Otherwise the devices still will have the old DNS information with the ad domains not blocked for about 10 minutes after the change.

1 Like

Yes. On my Win 10 PC i did this:

ipconfig /flushdns
chrome://net-internals/#dns   <-- clear host cache in Google Chrome. 

Still a lot of ads :frowning:

Thanks for your support! :slight_smile:

Okay, now that some time has passed, lets try on more debug run, and be sure to browse to a site that contains a lot of ads when you are prompted so that we can try to capture as much of that traffic as possible.

Here you go: u89sjrmrrr

The log still shows no activity from your client. Can you run ipconfig /all and check to see if the Windows machine is using the correct DNS? Is the Windows box pointed towards the Pi-hole directly, or do you have the router handling DNS?

Also, if you go to the Pi-hole Admin page, you can view the log in realtime, via Tools>Tail and that will show you if the clients are using the Pi-hole DNS server correctly.

Got it working now. Some how I had to set the DNS server IP manually for my LAN connection. "Automatically" did not work as expected. The Win10 PC has this setting now:

Should'nt the PC ask the router for what DNS server to use when it is set to "automatically"? On my router Primary DNS is set to 192.168.1.4, which is the adress to the ubuntu server that is running PI-Hole.

Got it. Stupid me managed to change the WAN DNS server instead of the DHCP DNS on the router. Now everything is working as a charm! Cant thank you enough for your kind support, DanSchaper :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Glad you got it working!

Had the same setting on my asus router. Thanks, this got me working.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: No ad blocking