No update possible today

Please see the screen shot....

Same here on two Piholes

The "problem" starts earlier:

[i] Checking for updates...
[i] Pi-hole Core: up to date
[i] Web Interface: up to date
curl: (7) Failed to connect to ftl.pi-hole.net port 443 after 32 ms: Connection refused
[i] FTL: update available
[i] Warning: You are using FTL from a custom branch (development-v6) and might be missing future releases.

[i] FTL out of date, it will be updated by the installer.

The updater is unable to connect and then expects that there is an update?

Correct, I overlooked the first error...

Somewhat ironically for updating a DNS server - the domain in question ftl.pi-hole.net currently returns NXDOMAIN.

I'm guessing whoever manages the pihole project infra needs to update the A or a CNAME record for that :smiley:

; <<>> DiG 9.18.21 <<>> https://ftl.pi-hole.net/
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 8656
;; flags: qr rd ra ad; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;https://ftl.pi-hole.net/.      IN      A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
.                       85979   IN      SOA     a.root-servers.net. nstld.verisign-grs.com. 2024013000 1800 900 604800 86400

;; Query time: 26 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8) (UDP)
;; WHEN: Tue Jan 30 09:55:33 GMT 2024
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 128
1 Like

I am having this issue as well, i have a pihole completely unusable at the moment. For some reason it stopped working and as part of my troubleshooting i decided to install the update (try) and once it failed it couldnt get back in the UI. Seems I have corrupted my install, might just need to flash the SD card and try again, but that will have to wait until the DNS issue is resolved.

pi-hole R.I.P

My pi-hole is still running in its PROXMOX container. Updating Gravity also worked. "Only" problem, the update "blows up" with the above error message.

No, the dig command you ran is incorrect - DNS lookups should not contain a protocol like

dig https://ftl.pi-hole.net/

It should instead have been

dig ftl.pi-hole.net

which shows everything is set up correctly.

Unfortunately, I'm currently traveling with nothing more than my phone which cannot log into the critical parts of Pi-hole's infrastructure (for very good reasons!). So I cannot do more than pinging @PromoFaux @DanSchaper for the moment.

From the limited debugging possibilities I have right now, I'd say the server was somehow overwhelmed with a massive load of requests and may need to be kicked manually to return to usual operation. This affects only users on custom branches (such as development-v6) but it still an issue we obviously want to resolve as quickly as possible. If nobody can react before me: I should be home at a trusted workstation in about 4 hours from now.

I will further then push a small code change that covers this case (also the case where users have no working upstream Internet connection) to prevent such ill-fated updates from ever being triggered in the future.

Not entirely sure what happened - but just rebooted the server at ftl.pi-hole.net and it appears to be working again.

Please try an update now

1 Like

working for me, thanks

1 Like

+1 Working again.

1 Like

+1 :dog::dog::dog::dog2::dog2::poodle::service_dog::service_dog::guide_dog:

1 Like

Ah, true. Sorry - my mistake!

Still, looks like the reboot did the trick - thanks! :slight_smile:

Worked for me and sorry for late response!

Can you check the update mechanism please? It looks like the updater thinks that there is an update, but ftl.pi-hole.net was just down.

[i] Checking for updates...
[i] Pi-hole Core: up to date
[i] Web Interface: up to date
curl: (7) Failed to connect to ftl.pi-hole.net port 443 after 32 ms: Connection refused
[i] FTL: update available
[i] Warning: You are using FTL from a custom branch (development-v6) and might be missing future releases.

[i] FTL out of date, it will be updated by the installer.

I don't have a bare metal install to test on currently, however I've just locally built a development-v6 docker image and it downloaded the binary from ftl.pi-hole.net with no issue.

Perhaps a glitch, no restarts happened this time. We have some monitoring on the node to try and find out what is happening (if anything)