No root password displayed after install and where did the login screen go?

Expected Behaviour: When logging in via SSH as user 'pi', I'm expecting a brief summary of commands to be displayed at the top of the screen.

Actual Behaviour:
I log in as user 'pi' and just get dumped into the CLI.

Debug Token:
Debug token: b51n09phfd

For some more details..... I installed Pi-Hole on my Raspberry Pi 3b a while back and would log into it from time to time via SSH: ssh root@192.168.1.2 and type 'dietpi' for the password. I think I was using Pi-Hole v3.x?

A few days ago, I logged into the web page and saw there were updates avail. I SSH'd back into Pi-Hole and typed 'pihole -up'. I got some sort of error so I thought, screw it, I'll just download a new Raspbian Lite image and start fresh.

Upon doing that, I got the infamous error about not being able to download/install FTL. Two fixes I had to carry out to work around that problem....

1. sudo apt-get install --reinstall dnsmasq
  2. sudo nano /etc/resolv.conf and in the nameserver section, remove 127.0.0.1 and replace it with 8.8.8.8 then run pihole -r to repair the install.

The installation completed successfully and Pi-Hole is back up and running at v4.0 and blocking ads!

BUT, at the end of the install, I was never given the root password like documentation says I should have been.

[✓] Consolidating blocklists
[✓] Extracting domains from blocklists
[i] Number of domains being pulled in by gravity: 158080
[✓] Removing duplicate domains
[i] Number of unique domains trapped in the Event Horizon: 134843
[i] Nothing to whitelist!
[i] Number of regex filters: 0
[✓] Parsing domains into hosts format
[✓] Cleaning up stray matter

[✓] Force-reloading DNS service
[✓] DNS service is running
[✓] Pi-hole blocking is Enabled

[i] The install log is located at: /etc/pihole/install.log
Update Complete!

Current Pi-hole version is v4.0
Current AdminLTE version is v4.0
Current FTL version is v4.0
pi@raspberrypi:~ $

With Pi-Hole 3.x, I could SSH via the root account and when I logged in, it displayed this nice little welcome screen with commands I could type. Like how to update, how to check CPU temp.... something about HTOP I think.

Now, when I log in as 'pi', I get none of that. Thankfully, I remember the 'pihole -up' but what were the other commands? Why aren't they displayed at login?

I think if I could SSH in again as root, I might see that login screen I'm referring too.

I searched on Google for about 30 minutes to try and find a freaking picture of that login screen but came up empty. I guess I can live without logging in as root but I'd like to know how to get that screen back with all the commands I can type after SSH'ing into Pi-Hole as user 'pi'.

Thanks

Are you able to view the web interface?
http://pi.hole/admin/
http://local ip address/admin/

You can use this cmd to set/reset your password for pihole
pihole -a -p newPassword

@duceduc Yes, I can log into the main admin page perfectly fine. With Pi-Hole v3, I use to use the root account to SSH into the Raspberry Pi and when logging in, I saw the "welcome" screen that displayed a few commands that you could use for housekeeping. Right now, I can only log in via the 'pi' account, which is part of Raspbian. I tried resetting the password for the user: pihole and that newly set password for the account pihole gets me into the web interface but trying to SSH into the Raspberry Pi with user "pihole" and the password that works for the admin page, fails. Won't accept the password for SSH but that same password DOES work for logging into the admin page.

I think the issue may be that you previously used DietPi which is a customized distribution. That ssh log in screen prints additional information and tips for use. When you changed to Raspbian, the parent distribution for DietPi, you will not see this additional information. This isn't a Pi-hole issue as we just install the packages needed for DNS on top of what ever distribution you have chosen to install when setting up the SDCard.

1 Like

Was this the screen you saw?

@DanSchaper Yes! That's the screen!! Well heck, guess I was using DietPi all along. Out of Raspbian Lite and DietPi, you recommend one over the other? I only run Pi-Hole on this thing.

I do seem to recall a busted upgrade of Pi-Hole I had a while ago when using DietPi and the recent update failure, which led me to nuking it all and posting here about my current problem.

Many people swear by one or the other.
To be 100% honest with you i myself have run Raspbian as long as I can remember with no ill effect however others will swear by DietPi (which I will say is a very well written piece of software) it all comes down to your personal preference

@technicalpyro Thank you (and the others) very much for replying, I'll mark this post as solved! :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.