No device names shown

Thats an active lease so only (proper) option left is the DHCP server swap to get names and IP's resolved for your LAN.

So change DHCP here to STATIC?

Or just enable DHCP on pi hole

Am not sure but it looks like you've posted a screenshot of the routers own DHCP client section.
It says on top "Internet Connectivity".
You shouldn't touch these settings as the router is also functioning as a DHCP client to acquire IP details from your ISP (like your public IP address on the Internet).

You should look for a LAN DHCP service/server section on the router that needs disabling.
And when want to switch, best to enable the one on Pi-hole first before disabling the one on the router.

EDIT: change the "Manually specify DNS" option back to default acquiring DNS servers from your ISP in the "Internet Connectivity" section.
That way if Pi-hole dies for some reason, you only have to enable the DHCP service on the router again to have everything working again without Pi-hole.

I'll disable this

Ok disabled DHCP on router settings, changed the DNS to automatic and will test if that works with pi hole now by inputting 192.168.1.5 aka my raspberry pi

Is this correct now? Now do I move onto the pi hole DHCP stuff.

Almost.
In the "Internet Connectivity" settings, I would change the field named "DNS" from "Manually" into something like "Automatically from ISP".

Once you have configured and enabled Pi-hole's own DHCP service, you grab that Windows client and renew the DHCP lease by running below in a command prompt:

ipconfig /renew

And see what DNS server(s) are configured now on that client with below one in that same command prompt:

netsh interface ip show dnsservers

Or check below to see from who the lease is coming from (the "DHCP Server" line):

ipconfig /all

And test DNS resolution with nslookup eg:

C:\>nslookup pi.hole
Server:  ph5a.home.dehakkelaar.nl
Address:  10.0.0.2

Name:    pi.hole
C:\>nslookup pi-hole.net

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    pi-hole.net
Address:  178.128.134.214

Test blocking:

C:\>nslookup flurry.com

Name:    flurry.com
Addresses:  ::

Or my laptop client:

C:\>nslookup laptop

Name:    laptop.home.dehakkelaar.nl
Address:  10.0.0.220

I haven’t attempted any of that but everything i’ve done has done this so far and more keep getting added so i believe it’s working?

Seems Pi-hole can resolve IP's to proper names now for your DHCP clients (the clients advertise their name to the DHCP server when getting a lease).
Wait a bit until all clients have renewed their DHCP lease before the old lease from the router is about to expire (can take 24 hours).
Or power cycle them to have them renew their lease immediately.

To properly test, you would need to run those nslookup tests to be sure.

This is weird, I rebooted the PI and will do it again

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.