No data in query log

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

This all started because fxnow wouldn't run unless I disabled the pi. This proved to be cumbersome to I attempted to find the blocked pages and whitelist them. When I tried to check the query log, shows no new data available. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks

Expected Behaviour

No data being shown on query log and dash stuck on data (44.5% blocked etc)

Actual Behaviour:

No new data, unable to show ip addresses or any data

There are some error messages about the ftl in the debug. Would be great if someone would take a look. Thanks!

Edit- if I run pihole -r, it gives the unable to connect to API message, so I have to downgrade the ftl which gives me the non changing data. Here is the debug after repair. 23tr85odvk

Debug Token

s592zg8f31

Have you restarted the machine that hosts your PiHole?

1 Like

I did the sudo reboot command multiple times to no avail. It was working ok at some point, not sure what happened

Bump. Really would appreciate some help on this one. Thanks in advance!

What is the output of these commands?

echo ">stats" | nc localhost 4711
sudo service pihole-FTL status -l
sudo service dnsmasq status -l
1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. This is what came back:

pi@print-server:~ $ echo ">stats" | nc localhost 4711
pi@print-server:~ $ sudo service pihole-FTL status -l
ā— pihole-FTL.service - LSB: pihole-FTL daemon
Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/pihole-FTL)
Active: active (exited) since Tue 2018-07-24 10:58:29 UTC; 14h ago
Process: 5056 ExecStop=/etc/init.d/pihole-FTL stop (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Process: 5063 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/pihole-FTL start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Jul 24 10:58:29 print-server pihole-FTL[5063]: Not running
Jul 24 10:58:29 print-server su[5073]: Successful su for pihole by root
Jul 24 10:58:29 print-server su[5073]: + ??? root:pihole
Jul 24 10:58:29 print-server su[5073]: pam_unix(su:session): session opened for user pihole by (uid=0)
Jul 24 10:58:29 print-server pihole-FTL[5063]: FTL started!
Jul 24 10:58:29 print-server systemd[1]: Started LSB: pihole-FTL daemon.
pi@print-server:~ $ sudo service dnsmasq status -l
ā— dnsmasq.service - dnsmasq - A lightweight DHCP and caching DNS server
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/dnsmasq.service; enabled)
Drop-In: /run/systemd/generator/dnsmasq.service.d
ā””ā”€50-dnsmasq-$named.conf, 50-insserv.conf-$named.conf
Active: active (running) since Wed 2018-07-25 01:13:03 UTC; 18min ago
Process: 11603 ExecStop=/etc/init.d/dnsmasq systemd-stop-resolvconf (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Process: 11650 ExecStartPost=/etc/init.d/dnsmasq systemd-start-resolvconf (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Process: 11645 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/dnsmasq systemd-exec (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Process: 11642 ExecStartPre=/usr/sbin/dnsmasq --test (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 11649 (dnsmasq)
CGroup: /system.slice/dnsmasq.service
ā””ā”€11649 /usr/sbin/dnsmasq -x /var/run/dnsmasq/dnsmasq.pid -u dnsmasq -r /var/run/dnsmasq/resolv.conf -7 /etc/dnsm...
Jul 25 01:13:02 print-server dnsmasq[11642]: dnsmasq: syntax check OK.
Jul 25 01:13:03 print-server systemd[1]: Started dnsmasq - A lightweight DHCP and caching DNS server.

I ran the command the downgrade the ftl version in the past, and it worked ok. But now it would just freeze the data so I didn't downgrade the ftl. So it shows lost connection to API.

What is the output of these commands?

tail /var/log/pihole-FTL.log
tail /var/log/pihole.log
1 Like

The downgrade of ftl used to work. Now the dash gets stuck with the data and query log shows no new data. Of the choices you gave which one is the less painful to do?

Thanks!

The deleted post was invalid, it should work in your case because you did one of the options already (downgrading). What is the output of those tail commands?

1 Like

It was suggested I upgrade Jesse to stretch. I looked up the commands, but for some reason I keep getting this error:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libc-bin : Depends: libc6 (< 2.20) but 2.24-11+deb9u3 is installed
locales : Depends: libc-bin (> 2.24) but 2.19-18+deb8u10 is installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.

And now I can't even run pihole -r anymore. I tried to run the command with -f but it keeps asking if I'm root which I think I am.

Thanks in advance

This is what showed after the commands:

pi@print-server:~ $ tail /var/log/pihole-FTL.log
[2018-07-25 11:12:17.843] -> Exactly blocked DNS queries: 19799
[2018-07-25 11:12:17.843] -> Wildcard blocked DNS queries: 0
[2018-07-25 11:12:17.844] -> Unknown DNS queries: 0
[2018-07-25 11:12:17.844] -> Unique domains: 1457
[2018-07-25 11:12:17.844] -> Unique clients: 35
[2018-07-25 11:12:17.844] -> Known forward destinations: 2
[2018-07-25 11:12:17.845] Successfully accessed setupVars.conf
[2018-07-25 11:12:17.846] Listening on port 4711 for incoming IPv4 telnet connections
[2018-07-25 11:12:17.847] Listening on port 4711 for incoming IPv6 telnet connections
[2018-07-25 11:12:17.847] Error on binding on Unix socket /var/run/pihole/FTL.sock: No such file or directory (2)
pi@print-server:~ $ tail /var/log/pihole.log

pi@print-server:~ $ tail /var/log/pihole.log
Jul 25 11:39:17 dnsmasq[338]: query[A] p44-keyvalueservice.fe.apple-dns.net from 192.168.2.216
Jul 25 11:39:17 dnsmasq[338]: forwarded p44-keyvalueservice.fe.apple-dns.net to 199.85.127.10
Jul 25 11:39:17 dnsmasq[338]: reply p44-keyvalueservice.fe.apple-dns.net is 17.248.187.133
Jul 25 11:39:17 dnsmasq[338]: reply p44-keyvalueservice.fe.apple-dns.net is 17.248.187.132
Jul 25 11:39:17 dnsmasq[338]: reply p44-keyvalueservice.fe.apple-dns.net is 17.248.187.201
Jul 25 11:39:17 dnsmasq[338]: reply p44-keyvalueservice.fe.apple-dns.net is 17.248.135.240
Jul 25 11:39:17 dnsmasq[338]: reply p44-keyvalueservice.fe.apple-dns.net is 17.248.187.196
Jul 25 11:39:17 dnsmasq[338]: reply p44-keyvalueservice.fe.apple-dns.net is 17.248.135.46
Jul 25 11:39:17 dnsmasq[338]: reply p44-keyvalueservice.fe.apple-dns.net is 17.248.135.15
Jul 25 11:39:17 dnsmasq[338]: reply p44-keyvalueservice.fe.apple-dns.net is 17.248.135.108
pi@print-server:~ $

Given that you want to upgrade to stretch (but are getting errors), and you will likely need to at least repair your Pi-Hole installation, it may be best for you to do a clean install of everything on your Pi, particularly if you don't have a lot of other software running on the Pi. If I were in that position, that is the route I would go.

Back up your Pi-Hole settings with teleporter before you do this, and then import them back into Pi-Hole after the reinstall.

Your process would be:

1. Clone your SD card to a backup (just in case).

2. Format/clean install Stretch on your SD card.

3. Reinstall Pi-Hole and configure

4. Restore Pi-Hole settings via teleporter.

Thank you for the suggestion. The only issue is that I have a bonjour print server on the card that lets me print from the apple devices. A friend set this up for me and mentioned it was quite a story. Would be great if there was some other workaround.

I even tried to reinstall stretch but was getting some minor errors. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

For your OS (Jessie) and given that you want to keep your printer server, your best option would be to move to the FTLDNS branch. That uses a modified version of dnsmasq so it works with Jessie. It also has some additional admin page information and options.

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestion, I tried to install it and it gave me some errors. I thought the update to stretch went through since I re ran it and the pihole -r and or went through this time. The page still shows lost connection to API unfortunately. Should I try to install the downgraded ftl again?

Here is the error btw

url: (23) Failed writing body (2175 != 2759)
pi@print-server:~ $ pihole checkout web FTLDNS
Please note that changing branches severely alters your Pi-hole subsystems
Features that work on the master branch, may not on a development branch
This feature is NOT supported unless a Pi-hole developer explicitly asks!
Have you read and understood this? [y/N] y

[āœ“] Fetching branches from GitHub - pi-hole/web: Pi-hole Dashboard for stats and more
[i] 18 branches available for Web Admin

fatal: ref HEAD is not a symbolic ref
pi@print-server:~ $ cd /etc/.pihole
pi@print-server:/etc/.pihole $ sudo git fetch --all && sudo git checkout master
Fetching origin
Switched to branch 'master'
Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/master'.
pi@print-server:/etc/.pihole $ cd /etc/pihole
pi@print-server:/etc/pihole $ sudo git fetch --all && sudo git checkout master
fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
pi@print-server:/etc/pihole $ echo "FTLDNS" | sudo tee /etc/pihole/ftlbranch
FTLDNS
pi@print-server:/etc/pihole $ pihole checkout core FTLDNS

[āœ“] Fetching branches from GitHub - pi-hole/pi-hole: A black hole for Internet advertisements
[i] 31 branches available for Pi-hole Core

[āœ“] Switching to branch: 'FTLDNS' from 'refs/heads/master'
[i] Already up-to-date.
[i] Running installer to upgrade your installation

[āœ“] Root user check

.;;,.
    .ccccc:,.
     :cccclll:.      ..,,
      :ccccclll.   ;ooodc
       'ccll:;ll .oooodc
         .;cll.;;looo:.
             .. ','.
            .',,,,,,'.
          .',,,,,,,,,,.
        .',,,,,,,,,,,,....
      ....''',,,,,,,'.......
    .........  ....  .........
    ..........      ..........
    ..........      ..........
    .........  ....  .........
      ........,,,,,,,'......
        ....',,,,,,,,,,,,.
           .',,,,,,,,,'.
            .',,,,,,'.
              ..'''.

[i] Testing for port 53 availability...
Port 53 is in use by dnsmasq.
In order for the installer to proceed, dnsmasq needs to be disabled.
Please re-run the installer with the following command:
curl -sSL https://install.pi-hole.net | bash -s -- --skip-DNS-port-check
pi@print-server:/etc/pihole $ pihole checkout web FTLDNS

[āœ“] Fetching branches from GitHub - pi-hole/web: Pi-hole Dashboard for stats and more
[i] 18 branches available for Web Admin

fatal: ref HEAD is not a symbolic ref
pi@print-server:/etc/pihole $

Hmm. There is a possibility your OS is wonky, since you tried to update and it may not have worked, or files/permissions were corrupted along the way. If I were you, I'd go the clean install route and eliminate all the unknowns. Perhaps one of the devs will have some insight into these errors. @Mcat12 ?

Is this your only option for sharing a printer? Are you printing directly from IOS devices or just MAC OS?

If you just want to share a printer, if your router supports this on a USB port, just plug the printer in there and let the router serve it. The router is on all the time. There are other Mac options as well.

1 Like

Have the print server to print from iPads and such. No macs in use. I wouldn't even care about the data if I didn't need to find what is blocking that silly fxnow app. Was hoping to find it and white list. Is there another option like running pihole -t which goes crazy and has tons of lines? Thanks

There are several tools to determine which domains are being requested and loaded.

1. Tail the PiHole log, either from the web admin page or using the command pihole -t

2. In the Chrome browser, install the DNSThingy extension, which will show you all the requested domains. Note that this works best when you start Chrome with a single window and load only the site you want, otherwise it will show data from all your windows.

3. Packet sniffer - Wireshark is one example. You can look at everything going across the network, filter by type (DNS, http), origin, etc. Nice software but a pretty steep learning curve.

My recommendation would be a combination of 1 and 2. Run the pihole log tail in a terminal window while you load the page or software in question. Then after the loading stops, stop the tail and copy the contents of the tail to a text editor. Then, using the domains you see in DNSThingy, do a word search for them in the huge tail log and see what became of them. It's a bit tedious, but I have found this to be effective.

1 Like

What is the output of these commands in the /etc/.pihole directory?

git --version
git symbolic-ref HEAD
git status
1 Like