No blocking without the long-term database

Setting MAXDBDAYS=0 keeps pihole up but prevents any blocking. Is this expected?

I was going to say it's still blocking... but you are correct, it's not blocking anything on my network too.

Setting MAXBDAYS=0 disables the long term database, but should not prevent blocking. Blocking is independent of the use of the long term database.

it shouldn't... but on websites where I usually do not see any ads, I'm seeing ads now with MAXDBDAYS=0. (and yes my blocking lists have been downloaded and updated).

Please set

DEBUG_DATABASE=true

in /etc/pihole/pihole-FTL.conf and run

pihole restartdns

check /var/log/pihole-FTL.log afterwards.
There should be something interesting for us.

Ignore what I said, I see this issue now: When we initialize the gravity database for the individual clients, we have to source their groups from pihole-FTL.db. As this is not possible when this database is not available, FTL assumes they do not belong to any groups and does not enable any blocking.

I will work on a fix.

3 Likes

Fix available here, please test:

pihole checkout ftl fix/blocking_without_pihole-FTL.db

This is smoking hot. Depending on your platform the automated CI system may need a minute or two to prepare the binaries for you to download.

1 Like

I get this response:
[✗] Requested branch "fix/blocking_without_pihole-FTL.db" is not available
[i] Available branches for FTL are:
- FTLDNS
- bughaunting/overTime
- development
- feature/deb-and-rpm
- fix/blocking_without_pihole-FTL.db
- fix/dnssec-retry-crash
- fix/issue_template
- fix/msatter_crazy_IPv6
- fix/tests-circleci-arp
- master
- master-find-missing-reference
- new/GeoIP
- new/all_clients_network_table_no-auto
- new/http
- release/v5.0
- revert-689-ltaub
- tweak/external_blocked_IPs
- tweak/log_upstream_errors
- tweak/remove-unused-FTL-var
- update/dnsmasq

same error as ChurchOfNoise

I moved this into a new discussion as the issue is separate from the original bug. It works for me, the binaries are there since 3 minutes ago, maybe you have been too fast? Let's try again and we shall see if there is something hidden here.

getting the fix works. will report back on blocking functionality.

1 Like

got it now. blocking works fine.
should we try setting mxdbdays to something else now?

No, this will not resolve the original bug. Let's continue over there. I will open a PR to get the fix for MAXDBDAYS=0 into the beta code. Good catch guys!

1 Like

should we rerun any command to switch back to the "regular" beta channel?

pihole checkout ftl release/v5.0

2 Likes

The fix has been merged into the beta code, please use @jfb's command to go back onto the regular beta. I'm still investigating the originally reported issue. The crash is only a secondary and, so far, I fail to reproduce this locally. Whatever I do, FTL doesn't want to crash :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.