No address range available for DHCP request via eth0

Hi,

I'm running pi-hole in a docker container. I'm getting the error message: no address range available for DHCP request via eth0 in my logs.

I'd like to confirm that simply putting the container into the host network, as opposed to the current bridge network, will fix this.

That said, I'm having trouble actually putting the container into the host network, but I've taken that up on the portainer support forum.

But, if there is a different/faster way to fix this, that would be expendient.

Thanks in advance,

Mike.

That would depend on whether you want to use the container as a DHCP server or not.

Yes, I do.

If you want to use docker based Pi-hole as the DHCP server then attaching the container to the host network is the easiest way to go.

Please see our documentation on this at Docker DHCP and Network Modes - Pi-hole documentation

1 Like

Thank you. I'll take it up with the portainer folks to find out why I CAN'T get pi-hole into a host network.

I just read the document you linked to. If I remove all of the ports: configuration, pi-hole will want to listen on tcp/80, which is already in use....

Mike.

The host mode port conflict can be avoided by setting WEB_PORT on your Pi-hole container to another port.

But that may not be relevant if you would be running your Docker on Windows.
Docker on Windows would be missing some features, host mode being one of them.

I believe that fixes my problem. Just for my edification, was that variable documented somewhere that I missed?

Thanks again,
Mike.

Yes, and I've linked the source above (as indicated by the blue hue :wink: ).

1 Like

I missed that. Thank you!

Mike.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.