Newbie question

Hey there,

im sure this is just a configuration issue but is the following normal?

i am using DNSmasq to use the pihole as the dns for the router

Do you have conditional forwarding enabled in your pihole settings? Are your clients getting the pihole or the router as the DNS server from DHCP/Manual config?

Thanks for the speedy reply,

the option for conditional forwarding is unticked.

below is the output from ipconfig for one of the clients.
client1

so dhcp is currently the router and pihole is the dns
i understood that this route "wasnt the best option" but the number being reported got _gateway seemed kind of high even from minute one of getting it going

(has been going for about a week), just wanted to confirm if this was normal or not

Thanks!

I would have DHCP only give the pihole for DNS. Your picture shows it giving other DNS servers as well. I also have my network handle DHCP rather than my pihole as it can't handle complex networks as easily.
Does your router also have multiple DNS configured or just the pihole? If you have conditional forwarding (CF) turned off just point your router to pihole as well. If CF is on I would have router use other public DNS servers so as not to create a loop but still issue pihole to the clients.

hmm, i think i understand what your saying and i thought thats what i was doing maybe not?

here im telling my router about the dns at pihole
wwrt

and here im setting the upstream back to the router
piholes

as far as im aware im not setting another dns anywhere else hmm

Local DNS setting for router should be the pihole address. Upstream DNS I would set to another public DNS provider and then you can enable CF on pihole so you can get hostnames in your pihole graphs. if you dont want the hostnames I would remove the upstream DNS setting and just let the pihole do DNS.

CF requries your router IP and that your subnet is all on same configured domain.
Gateway? IS that not your ISP IP? Not sure why it is 0.0.0.0? Is this the WAN gateway or the gateway for your LAN then it would be the router IP.
Hmmm, maybe I have not had enough coffee.

:smile:
well i tried local dns in the start it didnt seem to work... but i tried again filled in the gateway also and i think its fixed the _gateway in pihole has droped down. and my router isnt at 100% cpu anymore haha.... thankyou!!

Another question for you any idea how i delete the data stored for _gateway? casual 28,913,547 queries lol

Your welcome!

Check under pihole settings and flush logs. It will flush all your logs though. I am not sure if there is a way to flush just one instance like you are asking.

thanks again,

doesn't clear the data though

but makes the dashboard more useful itll do!

enjoy the rest of your day!

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.