New to the Community...Setting up remote dns using pi hole

Hi guys,
I am new to the community. I was given the pi hole links from another forum and even though I have been administering my own business web hosting and email servers for quite some time, I did not know of pi hole before.

Background

I have kids with windows10 laptops who regularly manage to get around our Microsoft family parental controls restrictions and settings.

Solution
setup my own dns that I can then use as a means of:

1. restricting content they can access from their laptops
  2. restricting web browsing times according to timetables I control

the above enforced by manually configuring the network dns settings on each laptop such that each laptop accesses online resources via dns server ip addresses that I set (completed by logging into each windows 10 admin account)

will pi hole also work on a cloud VPS server I configure and control directly for remote dns over WAN (example, if kids are also at school on school wifi outside of our home network)

Dont do that or you'll be running an open resolver contributing to DDoS attacks against other victims:

https://www.cloudflare.com/learning/ddos/dns-amplification-ddos-attack/

Trying to lockdown the laptops by just blocking DNS queries for particular domains (thats all Pi-hole can do) is a waste of time.
Pi-hole isn't that kind of a solution.
The kids will figure out very quickly how to circumvent your restrictions.
For example browsers nowadays have DoH that circumvents DNS entirely:

If still want a little control, you can install Pi-hole in a VPS if access through a VPN tunnel.
The laptops would have to be connected to VPN all the time.
Checkout PI-hole's official guide:

https://docs.pi-hole.net/guides/vpn/overview/

ok,
so if i am using a vpn tunnel through a pi hole device VPS, this would mean that the internet usage data is now being charged directly to my VPS bandwidth. That isnt an ideal solution i dont think.

the reason i was considering dns solutions is because it avoid data bandwidth charges.

Trying to lockdown the laptops by just blocking DNS queries for particular domains (thats all Pi-hole can do) is a waste of time.
Pi-hole isn't that kind of a solution.
The kids will figure out very quickly how to circumvent your restrictions.
For example browsers nowadays have DoH that circumvents DNS entirely:

when you say that, are kids using child accounts on a windows 10 machine who only have access to Microsoft Edge browser going to be able to circumvent anything without appropriate administrator level of access?

Check the "Overview" page again, you can do it two ways:

https://docs.pi-hole.net/guides/vpn/overview/

I'm not M$ certified to give you a proper answer.
But have you for example considered boot sequence in the laptop BIOS ?

EDIT:

I do have a trick for you that also circumvents DNS resolution.
All Windows systems have a hosts file at below location:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

That hosts file will be checked first before Windows does a DNS query.
Edit that file as admin and put in extra lines for all the domains you want to be blocked eg:

0.0.0.0 adult.art.site