New privacy settings for FTLDNS

It seems enabling "Don't show origin of DNS requests in query log" doesn't remove the clients from Query Log page.

This is likely. We re-designed the entire concept of privacy levels (hide only domains, hide domains + clients, hide everything) to give you more fine-grained control over what kind of statistics you want to gather for your network if you are privacy-concerned. This allows to get the most statistics still with a level of privacy you feel comfortable with.

3 Likes

The concept of privacy levels is now fully implemented within the beta testing branch:

2 Likes

Can you give me a hint how to change the privacy level via CLI, can't find it :thinking:

Yeah, need to update the documentation in more places, I guess (I wrote it somewhere, but now cannot find it myself :wink: )

Use, e.g.

pihole -a privacylevel 0

to set it to zero (no blocking). There are also 1 (domains), 2 (domains + clients), and 3 (everything) as described on the settings page. They are immediately effective and do not require a restart of FTL (they are the only FTL config flag with this property, so far).

Ok :slight_smile: Currently the information is missing in the CLI help.

It is now there, but slightly hidden (in the help of pihole -a).

Yes, after another update the help contains

-l, privacylevel Set privacy level (0 = lowest, 3 = highest)