New Login splash page/password?

I’ve recently updated to the latest & greatest(?) only to find the quick login page displaying top line stats that is presented on all my devices has now been replaced with the login screen asking for a password.

I’ve read the changes and see the following so obviously not an error;

Web interface improvements

New login splash page

This change will be the most immediately obvious to those that have their web interface behind a password.

Unauthenticated requests are now presented with a login page, and the previously seen data is now suppressed until a user is logged in.

With all due respect classing that as an improvement doesn’t make any sense to me IMHO.

It was so much neater & tidier before for a quick glance and if I wanted a deeper dive I would login and take a look.

Now I am forced to login just to take a quick look.

I don’t suppose there’s any chance of either reverting to the previous behaviour or at the very least presenting an option to choose between previous and latest behaviour is there please?

I am holding out hope because I remember reading a few years back that the devs would never include a temperature indicator in the status block but I noticed that long overdue ‘feature’ has found its way in at some point!

Thanks for listening.

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

There is an open feature request for this:

And this may likely disappear in a future release. At one point this was added as a troubleshooting aid, but overtemp is not an issue in almost all cases.

1 Like

Thanks for the link jfb.

I was searching, reading, creating a new topic an typing on an iPhone with a cracked screen and just wanted to get it off my chest while it was on my mind.

I’ll have a read and add my voice when I’m in front of the PC later.

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Ah that would be a real shame IMHO.

I use various monitoring utilities on my Pi’s but it saves installing software or logging on and running a command just to see what the current temperature is.

I don’t suffer from overheating but it was a fantastic indicator telling me the temperature of my Pi had risen 10c by just swapping over two 1U racks from the same manufacturer.

It’s such a useful feature. Still I suppose even the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away! :wink:

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

1 Like

We recommend a complete monitoring suite for your Pi, which can show you the temperature and a number of other parameters of interest.

We are generally of the opinion that items not related to Pi-hole specifically should not be shown in the web admin GUI.

Just to quote myself from that thread:

1 Like

Oh I already have complete monitoring suites in both Conky and RPIMonitor which apart from being pretty much supported these days necessitate a 3rd party installation/setup and running another program to access a myriad of information when all I want to see is temperature.

That’s why the temperature display in Pi-hole is such a quick, simple dare I say brilliant 1-line display that is so easily checked when at the Admin console although of course that simplicity is now impacted by the need to log on using your password…

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

[ ... Temperature now available in your query log, long-term database and grouped from your dashboard under OTHER ... ]

EDIT – above was a very messy approach so deleted, this is cleaner (still not a great way to monitor temperature but seems to work).

Hello again chrislph...thanks for taking the time to reply.

I'm not looking for yet another way to display temperature as I already have two monitoring apps running that are capable of giving me that and a whole lot more thanks all the same.

I was just harping on about how easy it is to refer to the top of the Pi-hole page and get this beautiful one-line temperature display and hoping the developers would listen! :wink:

Both jfb and PromoFaux did suggest there is an open feature request so I'll pop over there and throw my hat into the mix... :rofl:

I am going to suggest the Devs give due consideration to putting the option to choose behind a toggle of some sort in Preferences maybe? Then by default security is the default option but for those of us who would prefer the earlier behaviour of not logging on when viewing locally we are able to make the conscious decision and effort to enable previous behaviour.

Maybe before allowing the toggle to be enabled there might be a warning or two to prompt and make the user think before enabling the toggle?

Anyway we shall see...I notice yours is currently the last post in that thread anyway...

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

The temperature and other metric data is going away completely with version 6.

1 Like

Well that's a real shame Dan as it was such a useful feature for me as was the ability to hit Pi-hole locally and get a basic screen showing top line data without a password but sadly I think my time has come to an end with Pi-hole in any case.

Just yesterday I switched it off, updated the DNS Server pointers in my router for DHCP & on my static IP addressed devices and my network is finally flying like it should on a 900Mbps FTTC service.

No more Pi's slowly hunting around for updates, reporting missing repositories and failing to update, (Pi-hole itself would not update properly despite running pihole -up, watching it slowly progress to the finish line and being told it had all updated when in fact it hadn't updated at all) no more videos being buffered, no more websites not loading until I disabled Wi-Fi on my iPhone for example when the page that refused to load at all now then loaded swiftly on 4G and a whole host of other issues.

Obviously a configuration error or problem on my end but after posting a couple of debug logs and getting no reply here my lack of knowledge has forced me to throw in the towel I'm afraid.

I really don't like having the adverts back when browsing and reading news but it's a price I'm willing to pay for my network finally working as it should without being held back and crippled despite my reading that Pi-hole should speed things up without the overhead of adverts loading etc

I would like to thank all of you guys who have taken the time to respond to my various posts over the last couple of years. Although far from being an expert I've learned a lot about Pi's and have expanded from my first Pi that ran Pi-hole exclusively to 6 of them in a rack and if I could get hold of one or two more for other tasks I would.

I'm in awe of the work that you devs do in authoring, maintaining & supporting Pi-hole and its users and I'm glad I could contribute in some small way.

I will continue to recommend it to others as I have always done and I will keep an eye on progress and who knows I might even return to the fold one day.

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.