New configuration info

Hi to all, i have installed a pi-hole on my home network and working fine.

now i have a question with 2 configuration:

1. use ad/dns/dhcp on server 2016, setting up a dns forwording to pihole all comunication dns arrive with dns microsoft and in this case i lost all information about single client traffic.

2. use pihole dns (with conditional forward to dns microsoft) and in this case i lost all domain dns name but have all client information.

is there a configuration to synchronize the microsoft dns with pihole to have both the domain part and that query?

I don't know if Microsoft server 2016 DNS is capable of adding EDNS data such as subnet and mac information. If you could add this, Pi-hole could identify single clients. You would need EDNS Client Subnet (ECS).

You could also consider to change the order of your resolution chain:
Configure Pi-hole's IP address(es) as local DNS resolver in your router, and configure Pi-hole to use your Windows server as its only upstream.
(client -> Pi-hole -> Windows server -> public DNS)

From this https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/dnsserver/set-dnsserveredns?view=windowsserver2016-ps windows dns have thie feature.

now i set pihole default dns on dhcp server and work fine, the my problem is add static dns windows server and replicate on pihole.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.