Netgear Wifi not leasing IP via Pihole DHCP

Hello all, I just wanted to say that I have been searching this topic almost all day and cannot find a solution. I have successfully installed pihole on my raspbian jessie raspi and everything is going great right now outside a few things. Last night when I turned off DHCP on my netgear R6400 and enabled DHCP on my pihole, any wifi connected devices were unable to lease an IP. Anything that was ethernet was good. I feel like i'm screwing up the IP settings but I'm lost right now. Everything works fine if I don't use the DHCP via pihole. I just don't know which devices are querying what ad sites. Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciative! Settings were: Netgear R6400 IP Address 10.10.10.1 Subnet mask 255.255.255.0 DHCP unchecked

Pihole DHCP IP address static assigned 10.10.10.13 IP range 192.168.1.2 - .54 Router (Gateway) IP address 10.10.10.1

The latest Pi-hole might not work properly on Jessie without some extra effort:

pi@noads:~ $ dnsmasq -v
Dnsmasq version 2.76

If devices receive DHCP IP details connected via copper but not if connected via WiFi, there is not allot you can do on the router I think ... I might be wrong.
If its a Raspi with WiFi, you could try connect both copper and Wifi if setup a bridge interface on Raspi but only if IP range/subnet are the same:

You can see which device IP is doing what DNS queries with below one (blocked queries show up red):

pihole -t

If you mean you configured the DHCP range to be "192.168.1.2 - .54", thats not going to work because the devices will be assigned an IP address thats on a different subnet as the router 10.10.10.1 and Pi-hole 10.10.10.13.
If devices need to communicate from one subnet to another, they will need another router again.
Better configure the DHCP range to be 10.10.10.20 -> 10.10.10.255 so they all live happily together on the same subnet (the 255.255.255.0 subnet mask bit when configuring IPv4 address).

Ps. dont forget to renew DHCP leases on the devices whenever you change DHCP settings.
Disconnect and reconnect devices from network to receive new DHCP details ... or reboot the devices ... or wait long time until the client lease expires :wink:

2 Likes

The pihole was installed and working just fine I just couldn't get the wifi to devices to lease. I found the solution fir raspi here. Yeah I'm an idiot and had the gateway and ip range jacked up which is like networking 101! I have never had a dhcp server separate from a router tho so it was a learning experience. Everything works fine now, that was the only issue. The problem was I couldn't enable dhcp on the pihole first because my router would encounter an error when I turned off dhcp. I had to turn off dhcp on the router first and then get into my pi locally and not ssh or the web interface, assign a new static ip in the conf file, and THEN enable pihole dhcp. I had to move my pihole to a monitor because it previously wasn't. Everything is now working perfectly. Thanks for responding I do appreciate the help.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.