Netgear Orbi Router?

Mcat12 from the control panel i was able to change the temperature to Fahrenheit, add to whitelist, i was able to disable the pi-hole and that's all i reallly tried other than trying to do this DHCP thing which it won't let me.

when i clicked around nothing really changed on the right

Thanks

If you right click on something and click "Inspect", it will open up its location on the right side. Have you made any modifications to the web interface files? I can't find a commit with the hash "g1355e6a" that your repo seems to have.

other than the things above that i have told you i was able to edit that is it. i was unable to the only thing i am trying to do now the DHCP.

thanks

Sorry, I can't quite understand what you are saying in this comment. Go to the /var/www/html/admin folder and run git show and share the output.

when i typed what you ask this came up:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cd /var/www/html/admin
pi@raspberrypi:/var/www/html/admin $ git show
commit 1355e6a42ce5706e0ddadcedf4b42fd92a633496
commit 1355e6a42ce5706e0ddadcedf4b42fd92a633496
Author: Adam Warner PromoFaux@users.noreply.github.com
Date: Tue Mar 14 13:17:18 2017 +0000

Merge pull request #443 from pi-hole/fix/teleporter

Bugfix: Teleporter Export feature

diff --git a/.github/ISSUE_TEMPLATE.md b/.github/ISSUE_TEMPLATE.md
new file mode 100644
index 0000000..6f277b2
--- /dev/null
+++ b/.github/ISSUE_TEMPLATE.md
@@ -0,0 +1,33 @@
+In raising this issue, I confirm the following (please check boxes, eg [X] - no spaces) Failure to fill the template will close your issue:
+
+- [] I have read and understood the contributors guide.
+- [] The issue I am reporting can be replicated
+- [] The issue I'm reporting isn't a duplicate (see FAQs, closed issues, and open issues).

i can not change that DHCP once i click enable on the pi-hole size it just has everything grayed out.

What version of Chrome are you using? Are there any errors in the dev tools console?

Mcat12, not sure if i did this right:

Thanks

Version 57.0.2987.133

Mcat12 any other suggestions on who to make this editable? this is frustrating as it worked perfect on the non Orbi router..

@LilSnoop40 , sorry for jumping in but have you tried with another browser ?
I switched to the Pi-Hole DHCP service couple of days ago and experienced no issues:

pi@noads:~ $ pihole -v
::: Pi-hole version is v2.13.2 (Latest version is v2.13.2)
::: Web-Admin version is v2.5.2 (Latest version is v2.5.2)
xbian@arcade ~ $ sudo dhclient -r wlan0; sudo dhclient -v wlan0
Killed old client process
reload: Unknown instance:
invoke-rc.d: initscript smbd, action "reload" failed.
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client 4.3.5
Copyright 2004-2016 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/
Listening on LPF/wlan0/e8:94:f6:19:d3:5c
Sending on   LPF/wlan0/e8:94:f6:19:d3:5c
Sending on   Socket/fallback
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 6
DHCPREQUEST of 10.0.0.27 on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPOFFER of 10.0.0.27 from 10.0.0.8
DHCPACK of 10.0.0.27 from 10.0.0.8
reload: Unknown instance:
invoke-rc.d: initscript smbd, action "reload" failed.
bound to 10.0.0.27 -- renewal in 42151 seconds.

*noads is my Pi-Hole system with ip 10.0.0.8 and arcade 10.0.0.27 is one of my clients.

Yes, i am on windows 10 i am using the latest google chrome and no luck. i have tried with edge and no luck either same ip error thing. that i posted above.

Just to clarify, when to go to the settings page, the DHCP options are uneditable when the DHCP enabled button is both checked and unchecked? Try opening the browser dev tools and go to the network tab. Check the DHCP enable button and click save. The network requests list should be cleared, then populated with a few requests when the page reloads. Click on the first request, which should match the URL of the page itself, and copy all the information in the first tab (Headers) and share it here.

I am aware that this is a REALLY old post, but I found a solution to this.

I am now able to see each of the devices in my network, while keeping the Netgear Orbi PBK50 as the DHCP server, by using the Pi-Hole as the DNS server only.

First make sure that you have added the IP address of the Pi-Hole to all 3 DNS servers in your Orbi Internet setup:

Then, just go to your Pi-Hole>>settings>>DNS and scroll all the way to the bottom where you will find "Conditional Forwarding", and add the IP address of your Orbi router (in my case it's 192.168.0.1) and enter "orbilogin.net" in the "Local domain name" field, like so:

Click "Save" at the bottom of that same page, and away you go.

Now you will be able to see every single client in your network and what happens with each in your Pi-Hole.

I hope this ends up helping someone, even if it's 3 years later.

1 Like

Update: Now when I have both settings as listed below for the conditional forwarding, all traffic seems to be routed through lb._dns-sd._udp.0.2.168.192.in-addr.arpa listed as a domain in Pi Hole versus the specific domain request. Any ideas what could be causing this? It goes away if I turn off conditional forwarding.

Original Post: This does not seem to work for me on a setup of 1 RBR50 (FW: V2.5.1.16) and 1 RBS50 (FW: V2.5.1.16). I have all three IPv4 DNS pointing to my pi, as well as both IPv6 DNS pointing to the pi as well as the conditional forwarding pointing to my router IP (192.168.2.1) and the domain name orbilogin.net.

Side note on the domain name, does it have to be the .net address or can it be the .com, and also can it be the routerlogin.net/.com?

On the PiHole, the clients are listed as domain names and not just IP addresses, so I think something is working, but they are all still grouped under the rbr50 client, as opposed to the individual clients. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot?

@vette95 Any ideas on what is going on, is it still working for you and what is your firmware version?

I still have the same problem.

Router Orbi with 10.0.0.1. All other clients in 10.0.0.0/24

Pi Hole runs on 10.0.0.206, it is set in the Orbi DNS setting. I enabled conditional forwarding.

But still there is just the router IP visible in the stats.

Getting client names in Pihole when you are using the Orbi for DHCP is difficult to say the least. I found conditional forwarding did nothing but create over 1M log entries in about 2 hours. I tried every conceivable format for Local Domain Name. Also, putting the pi-hole ipv4 address only needs to be done in the first entry, and leave the other two blank - otherwise will create a lot of unnecessary request. The main issues I had, before deciding to just use pi-hole as my DCHP are:

1. Anything that routes through your router to obtain DNS (pointed to Pi-hole) will be passed with the routers IP address, not the client. There are a variety of articles on this site on ways you can attempt to have the Orbi broadcast those IPs, but none worked for me. This is still an issue for me using pi-hole DHCP as some clients attached to Satellites are still not coming through with their IP addresses.
  2. You can specify the Pi-hole ip as your DNS on most of your devices, but not a lot of your iot devices. This will bypass the first problem and you will see your client IPs. However, getting those IPs to resolve to host name is not straightforward. You can copy the Orbi's hosts file entries to the pi-hole which works but if the addresses aren't reserved you may up getting the wrong names down the line. You can also do DNS entries manually for all of them on Pi-hole which will accomplish the same thing.

Using a combination of 1 and 2 I was able to get about 1/2 of my 70 devices to record with hostname. I just manually entered them into etc/hosts on pi-hole and created address reservations on the Orbi. Eventually I just decided to move DHCP to Pi-hole and go that route.

Dang just found this super excited, but I just get this too :frowning: