Need both Primary and Secondary DNS entries one pihole

Sure is difficult to use a pi-hole almost seems like a conspiracy, doesn't look like xfinity or dlink want to make it easy

I want network wide pi-hole that auto assigns DNS server that is the pihole
This way the folks in my house don't need to do anything to get a ad-free network connection

My wifi/cable modem doesn't allow custom DNS servers- great
I connected my old WRT54GS and the modem in bridgemode
Slow Wifi I bought a new router I specifically went to see if DDWRT was supported
and it was (or so I thought) Turns out it isn't because of randomized hardware revisions, so lets try to use the stock firmware (after looking at the hack processes just no)

Secondary DNS must be set, Secondary DNS cannot be the same as the Primary DNS
Firmware won't allow it

If I set dns in the router to google 8.8.8.8 it will resolve and serve me ads as its the seondary dns fallback and the separate container will have separate statistics and admin page etc and slow everything down.

If I set the dns in the router to something that doesn't exist then the dns will 404 and slow down everything on the network as the secondary dns is used quite often to speed up regular loading

if I setup another pihole docker container and put it on its own macvlan (which the pihole is already on a macvlan)
pihole needs port 80 clear and I want to use the computer as a server as well with its regular hostname

I setup dockers IP tables as well as the IP tables in linux to relay traffic from the second IP address 192.168.1.98 to 192.168.1.99 (where the pi-hole is) but that didn't work, I also tried to open things up in docker but didn't get very far
I setup another docker container with DNSmasq and pointed it to 192.168.1.99 but that also didn't work

how can I have a pi-hole with two different DNS IP addresses without setting up a different container that runs pihole I want the statistics to be correct

Docker Mac VLAN

Docker Inspect Pi-Hole

Docker Inspect DNSmasq

Pi-Hole Debug Log

How?
Can you please share:

1. the compose file or docker run command used to start the containers;
  2. commands used to create the macvlan;
  3. generate and upload a debug log, then post just the Token URL that is generated after the log is uploaded.

You can generate the log by running the following command from the Pi-hole host terminal:

pihole -d

or do it through the Web interface:

Tools > Generate Debug Log

I'm sorry I am not used to this forum software, I have updated my post with the files you asked about

Here is additional output from another computer on the network

dnsmasq.conf
server=192.168.1.99

I apologize, the solution has been found to be flushing the DNS cache on macOS

Thank you for reading

sudo dscacheutil -flushcache; sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder.

w00fw00f ~ $ dig 192.168.1.98 mit.edu

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> 192.168.1.98 mit.edu
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 4420
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;192.168.1.98. IN A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
. 86394 IN SOA a.root-servers.net. nstld.verisign-grs.com. 2024032901 1800 900 604800 86400

;; Query time: 31 msec
;; SERVER: 100.100.100.100#53(100.100.100.100)
;; WHEN: Fri Mar 29 19:16:56 EDT 2024
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 116

;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 37695
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;mit.edu. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
mit.edu. 13 IN A 104.102.9.251

;; Query time: 31 msec
;; SERVER: 100.100.100.100#53(100.100.100.100)
;; WHEN: Fri Mar 29 19:16:56 EDT 2024
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 52

w00fw00f ~ $

New issue is the router automatically assigns dns from the isp as dns entry 3 and 4 and there is no way to stop this

Do not buy a DLINK router if you intend to use pihole!!!

Do not!

Please advise on solutions i have had issues using pihole’s dhcp server but that might be my only choice other than buying another router

Ive even added 75.75.75.75 and 75.75.75.76 to the firewall with no results

Dont buy dlink!

The solution to this was to buy a tp-link router, my archer cs4 is working with pi-hole flawlessly and isn't doing anything extra regaridng DNS

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.