Multiple DNS queries for single subdomain

Expected Behaviour:

Website should load quickly. The affected domain should get queried once and get blocked once.
Raspi Zero W, dietpi, default settings

Actual Behaviour:

Some websites take 5-15s to load each and every time. The issue being their data-something.domain.tld subdomain which gets queried (and blocked) every few seconds until it finally gives up and loads the site without issues.

Here's an example for faz.net and data-4ede7e9c86.faz.net: https://i.imgur.com/8ZskFaK.png - that's all from opening faz.net once. Other websites that are affected: kicker.de, mopo.de, tvtoday.de - maybe just a problem with German websites. If I whitelist the affected subdomain or disable blocking, the websites loads quickly.

What's causing the "loops"? How to avoid it without whitelisting any data-something subdomain?

Debug Token:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/PhuH58LO/

What blocklists are you using?

It's the website that decides which requests to send and how often it repeats them.
Pi-hole is just receiving and processing them, blocking domains by your choice of blocklists.

In some rare cases, changing Pi-hole's reply type for a specific domain may prompt a site to give up on retries more quickly.

But as data-4ede7e9c86.faz.net isn't blocked by Pi-hole's default blocklist (Steven Black has only briefly listed it as to be blocked in April 2023), exempting that domain from being filtered may also be viable.

You should decide that according to your personal preferences, considering if that domain is delivering content rather than ads, or if reading faz.net for free is only possible with access to that domain.

Thanks, yeah, I figured it was the website reattempting to "sideload" some content but I wasn't sure whether it's intended that it happens that often and it gets queried each time.

I'm using all the green lists on firebog.net. I guess I'll whitelist it on a site-by-site basis since it's not that widespread.

Hopefully it won't become the norm for all websites to employ such retry tactics.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.