Moving PiHole to a different server

I currently have PiHole installed and running perfectly on 172.16.68.65, however I need to move it to another piece of hardware. The problem is, it took me a long time to get it running just the way I like it and I really would like to avoid going through the same headaches I experienced the first time. If my new machine is going to be 172.16.68.68, what is the best way to get things running on this? Do I just setup PiHole with the defaults and then copy conf files from the old to new machine and replace the old with new ip addresss? Is there a list of what files I need to migrate?

You could backup your files from /etc/dnsmasq.d/ as well as adlists file, whitelist and blacklist txt file from /etc/pihole/ or use the teleporter feature from the admin interface (that saves all the config files under one archive).
You cold copy the setupVARS file also but that one contains the IPV4 and IPV6 parameters of your old device (.65) so those values would need to be updated to the new one (.68).

Install Pi-hole as usual and then restore the files :blush:

Another option is to clone your SD card, then put that card in the new device. You would need to run pihole -r to change your IP settings. This process also clones the SSH certificates from the old card to the new card (not too much of a problem if you are abandoning the first install on the first piece of hardware).

My preference would be to do what RamSet suggested - clean install and move the list settings over using teleporter and copying the configuration files (block lists, etc.).

I think you will find that the second time around installing will go more smoothly now that you've done it once.

Instead of manually moving config files over, use the Teleporter feature of the web interface settings to do it for you.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.