Mobile devices failed to obtain IP address

Expected Behaviour:

I expect to be able to browse the internet while blocking ads across multiple devices on both ethernet and wireless connections.

• Hardware: Raspberry Pi 3B, NETGEAR R6700v3

Actual Behaviour:

Certain devices can connect to the router and access the internet while others cannot. Specifically,my PC, Xbox One, and the Raspberry Pi itself are all connected to my router and can be seen in the routuer admin panel's attached devices page. The PC and pi are connected via ethernet while the Xbox One is connected over 5G wireless. For reference, the pi is at IP 192.168.1.6 with the PC and Xbox being at 192.168.1.4 and 192.168.1.3, respectively. The issue arises when attempting to connect to the network on mobile devices. I have both an Android and an Apple phone in my household, both of which cannot connect.

When attempting to connect on my Android phone I am given the error "Failed to obtain IP address" and nothing else.

I've searched other similar issues here but could not find one whose steps resolved the issue.

I already have the router set to not use itself for DNS, as seen here:

I have my DNS set to the IP of the pihole to no avail.

I'm not certain what is left, but I've whitelisted both connectivitycheck.gstatic.com and captive.apple.com as I have been told that mobile devices check these urls for connectivity.

Debug Token:

ybnpwqecf6

You have no DHCP server on your network. DHCP is disabled on the router and not enabled in Pi-hole. When a client attempts to join the network, there is no DHCP server to provide a IP address.

Thanks for the quick response! Of course it was something that simple, haha! Looks like it solved one issue and revealed another, unfortunately,

I enabled DHCP on th pihole and moved to disable DHCP on my NETGEAR router (an R6700v3 with firmware version V1.0.4.84_10.0.58) but am given the error that The IP address conflicts with the WAN IP subnet. Please enter a different IP address. whenever I try to click Apply with the Use Router as DHCP box unchecked. Try as I might, I cannot find a working solution for this online.

If I can find a solution on my own I will update, possibly helping anyone with a similar issue.

I think I figured it out, following this guide on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/pihole/comments/7hlmqa/dhcprouter_issues/. Not certain if I'm blocking ads now, as my browser was already using ad blockers, but now all devices in my household seem to connect without issue. Thanks again for your help!

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.