Mobile apps taking a long time to load

The issue I am facing:
A few examples are.
1.When i load monster hunter now it takes 7 minutes to load to the home screen.
2.When i switch eggs or appraised pokemon in pokemon go the screen freezes for a few seconds before loading the next screen.

I've tried coming off my pihole and the issue goes away.

Details about my system:
I'm using a pi3 with the current versions of pihole set as my DNS and an android.

What I have changed since installing Pi-hole:
I don't believe i made any changes though it is possible i'm on newer versions as these are set to auto update.

I believe this started happening about a week ago.

I've tried turning off the ad-blocker and white listing things but this doesn't appear to of made any diffrence.

Any advise would be appreciated thank you in advance.

Check for entries in Pi-hole's Query Log while this is happening. If Pi-hole is blocking domains that are needed then you'll see them in here.

Some Android OSs screw around with your DNS settings and add their own. Previous posts about this here.

Please don't auto update Pi-hole. Instead review the announcements of new releases and determine how or if they affect you, and plan your update.

That would suggest that the problem lies outside of Pi-hole. For example if the Pi-hole is connected via wifi and the signal to it is poor, it may be struggling to talk on the network, causing clients to wait longer. Make sure it has a good wifi signal or switch it from wifi to ethernet (and do a Reconfigure, a search will find how to do this).

By all means submit a debug log if you would like the config inspecting for any issues.

Thank you for your reply.

Check for entries in Pi-hole's Query Log while this is happening. If Pi-hole is blocking domains that are needed then you'll see them in here.

I have uploaded a copy of the query log from when my phone connects to the wifi at which point i started loading the app at "2024-02-29 09:01:29" the app showed signs of progress at "2024-02-29 09:07:11" and then completed loading at "2024-02-29 09:08:22"

Some Android OSs screw around with your DNS settings and add their own. Previous posts about this here.

As far as i can tell this is not the case.
Also given the fact if I'm purely using the Pi-Hole and not and mobile data so there is nothing to fall back too and on my Router the Only DNS is set to my Pi's IP with the secondary being 0.0.0.0 if there was an issue with my android interfering with the DNS it wouldn't still work after 7 minutes?

Please don't auto update Pi-hole. Instead review the announcements of new releases and determine how or if they affect you, and plan your update.

Apologies i wasn't clear the mobile apps auto update not Pi-Hole. I have updated Pi-Hole as one of the steps to trouble shoot since and that has made no difference.

That would suggest that the problem lies outside of Pi-hole. For example if the Pi-hole is connected via wifi and the signal to it is poor, it may be struggling to talk on the network, causing clients to wait longer. Make sure it has a good wifi signal or switch it from wifi to ethernet (and do a Reconfigure, a search will find how to do this).

Apologies again I probably wasn't clear enough. The WiFi signal is showing as strong.

Things I tried:

• I timed loading over mobile network and it took 30 seconds.
  • I turned off mobile data and tried loading monster hunter while connected over WiFi with the Pi-Hole and it took 7 minutes.
  • I have tried changing the DNS back to being the default on my router and Monster hunter loads with in 30 seconds.
  • I tried the "Disable blocking" and it took 7 minutes to load Monster hunter.
  • I have whitelisted all blocked sites that appeared during the loading and tried again till there were none. this still took 7 minutes.

Given the issue only appears when using the Pi-Hole this is my reason so suspecting the issue is here though I'm more than happy to be wrong. I have also uploaded the pihole_debug.log as suggested.

Pi-Hole Logs.zip (22.3 KB)

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.