Manual DNS bypasses the pihole

Hi, I'm here again.

I have a pihole on docker in a mikrotik routerboard.

Everything works, but if I put the DNS manually in a PC for example 8.8.8.8 instead of the IP of the pihole or instead of leaving the DHCP. The pihole is bypassed and nothing filters anymore...

I'm almost sure it's not a mikrotik setting because if I turn off the container it gives me the error: DNS_PROBE_STARTED
(with Google DNS) if I turn on the container I surf the internet but without pihole filtering... what did I do wrong?

Thank you

debug token is: https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/CdUDi8Ok/

This is expected.

When you manually set 8.8.8.8 you are telling the PC to send DNS queries to 8.8.8.8.

Why are you manually changing the DNS?

Thanks for the reply, for two reasons: I have devices that have soulbind dns other than pihole and I was looking for a way to filter those devices. the other reason is that I would like to avoid a user manually entering DNS to bypass the pihole filters. Is there a way to force the use of pihole as a DNS server? I put some NAT rules in the router to force this, in fact if I turn off the pihole it doesn't matter which DNS I put, I don't surf the internet, while if I turn on the pihole if I have its IP as DNS it filters if I have other DNS it is bypassed.. ..

Not using Pi-hole.

You'll need a firewall to achieve what you want.

They seem to be incorrect if it is not working. Remember to include an exception for the Pi-hole itself out, otherwise, it cannot reach any name servers either, effectively resulting in an endless loop of DNS requests and no Internet connectivity as a result.

We have documentation how to do it with the popular FritzBox routers, maybe you can get some inspiration here:

https://docs.pi-hole.net/routers/fritzbox/#optional-allow-dns-queries-only-from-the-pi-hole

I have already spoken in the mikrotik forum, I have watched a hundred tutorials and the firewall rules are always the same...
and then I wonder if all the DNS were not diverted to the pihole because if I turn off the pihole docker I stop going to the internet? I don't understand where the mistake is.

I put the google dns with pihole turned on and it bypasses the pihole

I put the pihole dns with pihole turned on and everything works

I put the google dns with pihole turned off I get the error: DNS_PROBE_STARTED

I put the pihole dns with pihole turned off I get the error: DNS_PROBE_STARTED

I can't understand why...

EDIT:

With pihole docker turn on:

dig google.com @8.8.8.8 +short

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

With pihole docker turn off:

dig google.com @8.8.8.8 +short

; <<>> DiG 9.16.45 <<>> google.com @8.8.8.8 +short
;; global options: +cmd
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

Good morning, i start with a fresh pihole installation and I confirm that it is a Pihole problem (maybe I made some settings wrong) because from the Pihole log I see that the client connects to Pihole despite having static DNS set. Except that pihole doesn't want to filter it... Can anyone tell me where I went wrong?

WITH STATIC GOOGLE DNS:

query[A] dns.google from IP
Feb 19 08:52:39: cached dns.google is 8.8.4.4
Feb 19 08:52:39: cached dns.google is 8.8.8.8
Feb 19 08:52:39: query[HTTPS] dns.google from IP
Feb 19 08:52:39: forwarded dns.google to 1.1.1.1
Feb 19 08:52:39: validation result is SECURE
Feb 19 08:52:39: reply dns.google is NODATA

WITH PIHOLE DNS

query[A] www.google.com from IP
Feb 19 08:48:39: forwarded www.google.com to 1.1.1.1
Feb 19 08:48:39: query[HTTPS] www.google.com IP
Feb 19 08:48:39: forwarded www.google.com to 1.1.1.1
Feb 19 08:48:39: validation result is INSECURE
Feb 19 08:48:39: reply www.google.com is <HTTPS>
Feb 19 08:48:39: validation result is INSECURE
Feb 19 08:48:39: reply www.google.com is xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

ALSO THIS WITH STATIC DNS GOOGLE:

query[A] dns.google from IP
Feb 19 09:01:25: forwarded dns.google to 1.1.1.1
Feb 19 09:01:25: query[HTTPS] dns.google from IP
Feb 19 09:01:25: forwarded dns.google to 1.1.1.1
Feb 19 09:01:25: validation result is SECURE
Feb 19 09:01:25: reply dns.google is NODATA
Feb 19 09:01:25: validation result is SECURE
Feb 19 09:01:25: reply dns.google is 8.8.4.4
Feb 19 09:01:25: reply dns.google is 8.8.8.8

DEBUG TOKEN:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/e25l7kbV/

Pi-hole only blocks what you configure it to block.

Your debug log does not show any specific blocks for www.google.com nor dns.google.

Unless one of your blocklists would be blocking www.google.com and dns.google specifically, those logs look entirely expected.